[NFB-Krafters-Korner] First Things First

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Jan 8 16:06:24 UTC 2020

Hi Jen.
I think you would enjoy crewel, and might find it easier to begin with.
Crewel is embroidery done with thin yarn, rather than thread.  The yarn is
easier to feel than thread.  Also, you use a yarn needle rather than a
sewing needle, so it's a bit easier to thread.
I did it using needlepoint-type yarn, a needlepoint needle, and an
embroidery hoop.  I used an ordinary cotton fabric.

I found a book on BARD you might find interesting.
Woman's day book of American needlework DB16691 Deals with the history and
development of needlework arts in America and includes step-by-step
instructions for beginning as well as advanced needle workers, on the
techniques of embroidery, crewel cross-stitch, needle-point, patchwork,
applique, quilting, hooking crochet, knitting, candlewicking, and rugmaking.
 Deals with the history and development of needlework arts in America and
includes step-by-step instructions for beginning as well as advanced needle
workers, on the techniques of embroidery, crewel cross-stitch, needle-point,
patchwork, applique, quilting, hooking crochet, knitting, candlewicking, and
rugmaking.

I have a braille book about crewel, but it's very old and apparently not
available anymore.
Tracy