[NFB-Krafters-Korner] swatching ETC.

Portia Mason knitangelpm at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 17 05:07:41 UTC 2020

              	    	 I did the same thing! I made a swatch of a pattern of what I want to do for my shawl. I like it better without the border since I am doing a feather in Fanshawe and I like the way the scalloped edge it looks all the way around it! I’m doing a particular feather and fan pattern that is not a typical one that most people use! And this one’s really nice!  It’s still has a curl to it since it has a stocking it look to it! But it’s not as prominent! But by the time I wash it, the curl will come out of it because I’ve noticed that a lot of my clothes that I washed that are handmade come out without any curling edges! I guess because when I put fabric softener in it it seems to get my clothes nice and soft! At least a particular brand that I use! Anyway yes I follow your pattern the way you do it so far is Swatch in is concerned so it’s not just for watching sweaters and getting the sizing right!
    	Portia Latieff Mason

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 6:35 PM -0700, "Bernice Bird via NFB-Krafters-Korner" <nfb-krafters-korner at nfbnet.org> wrote:

I always resist swatching to determine sizing. This week I started a shawl
with the captive hearts pattern. I cast on 312 stitches and did seed stitch
for 4 rows, and then started right into the pattern. I thought, "what are
these holes?" Then I did another 2 rows, and decided I didn't like it. So I
did 312 stitches times 8 just to realize I didn't like the pattern. If I had
just worked the pattern once, it would have saved time and aggravation. So,
this the long way to say swatching isn't just for sizing, it is also good
for seeing if you actually like a pattern since most of us can't see the
pattern.

Be safe, and hibernate at home and complete some of those projects we have
unfinished.

Bernice and the adorable Lolo.