[NFB-Krafters-Korner] OT. Legislative information

Tammy Freitag ms.sunflower61 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 01:59:33 UTC 2020

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

National Federation of the Blind Demands that Policymakers Protect and
Assist Blind
 Students During COVID-19 Emergency
Washington, DC (March 20, 2020): The National Federation of the Blind,
America’s civil rights organization of the blind, today expressed its
absolute opposition to any proposal in COVID-19 emergency legislation,
or any other legislative or regulatory action, that would undermine
the rights of blind students and other students with disabilities
under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act and other
applicable laws during the crisis.

“Congress is considering actions that would threaten the educational
rights of blind students like my two daughters and jeopardize the
provision of accessible textbooks and course materials, Braille
instruction, and much more – all at a time when blind students need
these services the most given that many public schools are closed and
they, like their peers, are expected to learn at home,” said Mark
Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind. “We all
recognize the national COVID-19 emergency, but it does not justify
discrimination against the blind or other students with disabilities.
Instead of cruelly undermining the rights of the blind and others,
Congress should provide additional resources to school systems so that
they can better meet the needs of students with disabilities during
this crisis. Lawmakers should not relegate disabled students to
second-class status by undermining our rights while providing relief
and assistance to other groups and industries affected by this
emergency. The National Federation of the Blind will remain vigilant
and continue to vigorously oppose any provision or action that erodes
the fundamental right of blind students to an equal education.”

What You Can Do
Call or email your two senators today and ask them to vote against
this proposal. Currently offices are swamped with phone calls, so it
may be better to email your two senators and advocate against any
legislation that could undermine the rights of people with
disabilities.

When you call or email, you might say something like the following:

"Hello, my name is [your name] and I am a constituent of [your
senator]. I live in [city, state]. I am calling to urge [your senator]
to advocate against any legislation that could undermine the rights of
people with disabilities. While the COVID-19 outbreak has placed a
tremendous and unprecedented strain on schools and districts, it is
imperative that we work together to find solutions that allow children
to receive equal access to an education and the services that support
them without undoing all of their civil and educational rights. I am
writing as a concerned (parent, teacher, blind person, etc.) to urge
you to reject any provision that would negatively impact the civil
rights of people with disabilities. Please support your constituents
with disabilities in achieving equality, opportunity, and security
during this critical time in America.

Sincerely,

(Your Name)”

You can contact your senators by calling the Capitol Switchboard and
asking for the office in question. The number is 202-224-3121. If you
email your senators, please copy Stephanie Flynt at sflynt at nfb.org.
Your calls and emails do make a difference.

It is best to call or email the relevant education staffer in your
member of Congress's office. If you need the name and email of the
appropriate staff person for any Senate  office, please email Jesa
Medders at jmedders at nfb.org.

###

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), headquartered in
Baltimore, is the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind
Americans. Founded in 1940, the NFB consists of affiliates, chapters,
and divisions in the fifty states, Washington DC, and Puerto Rico. The
NFB defends the rights of blind people of all ages, and provides
information and support to families with blind children, older
Americans who are losing vision, and more. We believe in the hopes and
dreams of blind people and work together to transform them into
reality. Learn more about our many programs and initiatives at
nfb.org.

CONTACT

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

410-659-9314, extension 2330

410-262-1281 (cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

this press release is also available at:
https://www.nfb.org/about-us/press-room/national-federation-blind-demands-policymakers-protect-and-assist-blind

Christopher S. Danielsen, J.D.

Director of Public Relations

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314, Ext. 2330 | cdanielsen at nfb.org

Twitter: @rlawyer

--
Independence is yours .  Are you willing to reach for it?
Tammy