[NFB-Krafters-Korner] [NFB-Division-Leaders] NFB President’s Notebook - Week of 07/19/2021

krafters.division.president at gmail.com krafters.division.president at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 00:48:27 UTC 2021

Sharing.

Tammy

From: NFB-Division-Leaders <nfb-division-leaders-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of President, National Federation of the Blind
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2021 4:14 PM
To: State Presidents <StatePresidents at nfb.org>
Cc: NCB Staff <NCBStaff at nfb.org>; NFB-Division-Leaders at nfbnet.org
Subject: [NFB-Division-Leaders] NFB President’s Notebook - Week of 07/19/2021

President’s Notebook

National Federation of the Blind

Mark A. Riccobono

 <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org> officeofthepresident at nfb.org

410-659-9314

Dear Federation Family,

Thank you for making our 2021 National Convention an outstanding success. I was inspired by the commitment and work of this leadership group that made the convention a success. I hope you came away with the same feeling.

We have a lot of work to do. As our chapters and affiliates come into in-person gatherings throughout the rest of the year, we need to continue to find innovative ways to build membership and strengthen our advocacy programs. This is a call to those of you who have not yet established membership coordinators for your affiliate. Membership is the heartbeat of our transformation. Stop searching for the perfect member to serve in this role. Let’s get moving on membership in your affiliate. Congratulations to these states for making the top ten in new members between the 2020 Convention and May 31, 2021:

1.	Georgia: 139
2.	Texas: 116
3.	North Carolina: 60
4.	Pennsylvania: 57
5.	New Jersey: 56
6.	Colorado: 40
7.	Maryland: 32
8.	California: 28
9.	Arkansas: 23
10.	Indiana: 23

Please email  <mailto:membership at nfb.org> membership at nfb.org with the name and contact information of your affiliate membership coordinator, if we do not have it already. If you do not know if we have it, send it along.

I enjoyed meeting with many of you during the convention. I remind you that I am eager to work with you throughout the year and to hear your concerns, ideas, and priorities. I hope to hear from you soon.

Critical Actions:

NFB21 Convention Highlights and Congratulations:

The 2021 NFB National Convention highlights will be available at  <https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention/past-conventions/2021-national-convention> nfb.org/nfb21. Access the presidential report, resolutions, banquet speech, and more. During convention, the National Federation of the Blind presents several scholarships and awards. Congratulations to the winners:

*        Jordana M. Engebretsen of Idaho was named the  <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=22214&qid=> 2021 Distinguished Educator of Blind Students at the board of directors meeting on Wednesday, July 7.

*        Thirty outstanding scholars received their  <https://nfb.org/about-us/press-room/celebrate-outstanding-blind-students-0> NFB scholarships at the convention banquet, with Lizzy Muhammad-Park of Maryland winning the top $12,000 Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship.

*        Six outstanding innovators were presented with the  <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=22216&qid=> Dr. Jacob Bolotin Awards at the banquet, with the top award of $20,000 going to Eye Learn of Detroit, Michigan.

News:

Federation at the US Senate Committee on Appropriations Regarding USPS:

National Federation of the Blind member Rania Dima testified on July 13 at the  <https://www.c-span.org/video/?513353-1/us-postal-service-fiscal-year-2022-budget-request> Hearing to Review the FY 2022 Budget Request for the USPS Office of Inspector General and USPS Service Issues before the US Senate Committee on Appropriations. Rania is introduced by Senator Chris Van Hollen (MD), the chair of the subcommittee, at approximately one hour and eleven minutes into the video.  She testified on the importance of the timely delivery of “free matter for the blind” materials that are supposed to be processed as first-class mail, and how the current delays are impacting her ability to access Braille.  <https://www.appropriations.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Dima%20Testimony2.pdf> Read Rania’s story.

Plan to Attend the June Presidential Release—Captioning and Spanish Available:

Mark your calendars! The next Presidential Release of the National Federation of the Blind will be Monday, August 2, at 8:00 p.m., eastern. After the remarks there will be an opportunity for questions. Submit questions in advance to  <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org> cdanielsen at nfb.org and put PR507 in the subject line, or call 410-659-9314, extension 2473. Closed captions and Spanish interpretation will be available. Zoom details coming soon.

Upcoming Hearing on Phasing Out Subminimum Wages

On Wednesday, July 21, at 10:15 a.m., eastern, Anil Lewis, our executive director for Blindness Initiatives, will be testifying in a joint hearing before the Subcommittee on Workforce Protections and the Subcommittee on Civil Rights and Human Services. Both of these are subcommittees of the House Education and Labor Committee. More information on this hearing can be found at  <https://edlabor.house.gov/hearings/phasing-out-subminimum-wages-supporting-the-transition-to-competitive-integrated-employment-for-workers-with-disabilities> https://edlabor.house.gov/hearings/phasing-out-subminimum-wages-supporting-the-transition-to-competitive-integrated-employment-for-workers-with-disabilities.

2021 Blind Driver Challenge Update: Meet Dan Parker:

Earlier this year, the National Federation of the Blind announced our partnership with Cruise for the continued initiatives to accelerate accessibility with regard to autonomous vehicles and to sponsor Dan Parker in breaking a world record this fall. We are racing to the record and more.  <https://youtu.be/S4WRQMc0ryY> Meet Dan Parker in this two-minute video.

NFB Surveys:

Please visit the  <https://nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program> NFB’s legal webpage to participate in our many important surveys:

*	 <https://nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/rideshare-discrimination-survey> Rideshare Discrimination Survey
*	 <https://nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/access_to_digital_library_service> Access to Digital Library Services Survey
*	 <https://nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/education-technology-survey> Education Technology Survey
*	 <https://nfb.org/form/unemployment-benefits-survey?q=form%2Funemployment-benefits-survey> Unemployment Benefits Survey
*	 <https://nfb.org/programs-services/legal-program/access-covid-19-vaccine-and-testing-survey?q=programs-services%2Flegal-program%2Faccess-covid-19-vaccine-and-testing-survey> Access to COVID-19 Vaccine and Testing Survey
*	 <https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NFBTravelSurvey> Travel Survey

National Parents Day Is July 25:

The National Federation of the Blind knows that  <https://nfb.org/our-community/blind-parents> blind parents are fully capable and have been successfully raising children for generations. We strive to build a strong network for blind parents. As a way to celebrate National Parents Day, which is every year on the fourth Sunday of July, access the  <https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/nations-blind-podcast/blind-parents-connection-podcast> Blind Parents Connection Podcast, a Blind Parent Education Initiative supported by the Gibney Family Foundation. We are excited to bring you episodes that provide tips and support for blind parents, by blind parents.

NFB Apparel Is Now Available from the Independence Market!

The Independence Market is now carrying men’s and ladies’ apparel consisting of NFB-logo polo shirts and jackets! The descriptions are as follows:

Men’s cotton performance polo shirts: sizes small to 5XL (black, navy, red) ($24.00)

Ladies’ cotton performance polo shirts: sizes extra small to 2XL (black, navy, and red); 3XL in black and navy only ($24.00)

Men’s nylon, lined jackets: sizes small to 5XL (black, navy, red) ($30.00)

Ladies’ nylon, lined jackets: sizes extra small to 2XL (black, navy, red); 3XL black only ($30.00)

Thanks to the Missouri Affiliate:

Thanks to the NFB of Missouri for a recent contribution to our NFB BELL educational endeavors. We continue to build our movement together.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

*	July 19-30: BELL Session 2
*	August 2: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
*	August 9-20: BELL Session 3
*	September 1: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
*	October 1: Presidential Release, 12:00 p.m.
*	November 1: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.
*	December 2: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org <mailto:Officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

 <https://nfb.org/>