[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Spinning wheel.

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sat Oct 2 11:21:38 UTC 2021

I have a spinning wheel, and a drop spindle.  I don't think spinning is any harder for a blind person than for a sighted person.
Basically what you do, starting with a bit of roving (unspun wool), is pull out a small bit and use the wheel or the spindle to twist it.  The parts that take practice are pulling out an even amount and twisting it just right--not too much, not too little.  I think I class would be a great way to learn.  I've had people show me for 5 minutes, and read instructions, but I don't do it well yet.  I have tendonitis in my wrist, and something about spinning seems to aggravate it if I do it too much, so I haven't done as much as I like.
NLS BARD has a book called something like Spinning, Dyeing, Weaving ...".  If you searched for spinning or weaving, it should come up.  But a real teacher is always helpful.
Tracy