[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Crafting from nature

Cathy Flesher flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 22:33:35 UTC 2021

Hi Shelley,

No, the plant was not a palm leaf. I meant to say that the branches were long and twisting, not the leaves. A friend showed me how to wind the branches around one another to form the wreath. Sorry, but I still can’t remember the name of the plant.
Other nature projects I did was to participate in  around half a dozen garden club shows. I displayed many plants I grew and made a flower arrangement for each show. One arrangement I particularly remember featured spider lilies which are particularly pretty. One really creative arrangement involved displaying fruits of different colors on a foam cone. I would have won an award  for that one if it hadn’t been for the fact that a few of the strawberries were a bit over-ripe after staying on the cone overnight. The show began at nine in the morning and I wasn’t about to make it real early that morning. But it was fun to figure out what fruit peices to place where on the cone. Can’t remember how I attached them.
I made a Christmas arrangement one year with pine cones nuts and other interesting plant material. I used glue and wow what a mess that was to clean up after!

Of course when I was a kid I pressed fall leaves between waxed paper to preserve them.
I did teach a flower arranging class on KK once, but it has been so long since I’ve done any arranging that I don’t remember many of the details.
You asked about the possibility of me teaching a macrame wreath for the holidays. I already have classes scheduled for this and next month, so I cannot do it for Christmas. However, wreaths can be made for any season. A person could make a wreath for spring or Easter, one for the Fourth of July, for the fall, and so forth. So, if there is interest, I can see about teaching this class at some point. I have already been thinking about teaching a basic macrame plant hanger for the spring. This would be a nice project for a beginner in macrame.

May God bless you.
 Cathy F