[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Crafting from nature

Ray Wright metaltipman at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 23:23:56 UTC 2021

I'm a bit late on this thread, but I love making things found in nature.

Some of the numerous items I have made include:

Pens, keychains, letter Openers and Magnifying Glass handles from deer
antlers. My friends and I  have found  antler  sheds  while out for a
walk and cut off the tips to make  handles with the natural end with
the pointed tip of the antler.  I also use a middle section of the
antler to make the barrels for  pens.

Most of what I make is from fallen tree branches and trees and bushes
that are being cut down for one reason or another. I have made bowls,
vases, boxes,  candlesticks and tea light  holders. Most of the items
I turn on the lathe are finished with smooth edges. Sometimes, I make
them look more natural and rustic by leaving the natural shape of the
log on the rim of a bowl for instance. The bowls and vases may still
have some of the bark on them. If there is a void or a knot or
something like that, I will try to incorporate the natural inclusion
into the the design of the item.

Last Christmas, I made some tea light candle holders that looked like
logs lying on their sides. The bark was left on and a wide hole was
drilled in the side  . They were about 6" long and 3" in diameter.

I have also used maple leaves  as patterns for shallow dishes.  I will
cut out the shape of the leaf on a piece of maple and then turn it on
the lathe  to make a decorative little tray or dish to set on a
nightstand or dresser to put your coins, keys or jewelry on when you
take them off at night.

Thanks for the great topic.

Ray

On 10/3/21, henry osborne jr via NFB-Krafters-Korner