[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Is it a darning needle or a toothpick?

englishrider91 at gmail.com englishrider91 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 04:37:32 UTC 2022

Hi, Ericka,

Yikes, ice!!! I hate the darn stuff! I really need to invest in some STABILicers (yes, that is how you write that lol) which are rubber things you slip on over the soles of your boots or shoes that have little gromit-type things on the bottom for tracktion. My mobility instructor specifically recommended them over things like Yacktracks. He's originally from Maine, so I trust his recommendations. :)

Anyhow, getting to the knitting part of your message--yeah, that comment from that gentleman was pretty funny. And that was probably a first. Having never seen a darning needle, I couldn't say whether I think they look like toothpicks or not, but the insident made me laugh regardless.

I really, really need to get back into knitting and pay to join classes on Krafter's Korner again. I've sort of given up on knitting. I just cannot keep my knitting at a consistant tension, causing my scarf to come out all uneven and lumpy-looking. This is frustrating. I'm using aluminum needles, and I'm not sure if that's a help or a hinderance. Lol maybe I just don't want to admit how awful I am at this and am looking to lay the blame on equipment. I really want to fix this, though, because I've seen all sorts of interesting paterns and stuff, and I'd love to be able to make something that someone (namely my husband) wouldn't mind wearing. :) Also, it would be nice to have a portable craft that I can basically take anywhere that's not going to make my hands messy or be hard to put away at a moments notice.

Anyhow, I'm glad you got all the supplies you needed, and that you got help with using one of those self-checkout stands. I really wish those would become accessible to the blind, like most ATMs have. Well, that's a rant for another day. :)

Thanks,
Ari