[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Reading patterns as blind or visually impaired crafter

amcarr1 at verizon.net amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sun Jun 5 02:48:33 UTC 2022

An abacus bracelet in its simplest form has 2 strands with 10 beads on each
strand.  Depending on how the bracelet is made, the strands can be made of
wire or cording of some type.  East strand has 10 beads on it.  The beads on
one strand each have a value of 1, and the beads on the other strand have a
value of 10.  Every time you start a row of knitting, crochet, etc., you
slide a bead with a value of one to the other end of the strand.  Once you
have all 10 beads slid to the other end of the strand, slide a bead with the
value of 10, and move the other beads back to their starting position.  How
the beads stay in place is different from bracelet to bracelet.  If cording
is used for the strands, the beads fit snuggly on the cording.  Other
bracelets have some type of loop or hole to pass the bead through to keep it
on the correct side.  Usually the beads have a different textures and/or
colors to distinguish between the ones and tens value beads.

I hope this makes sense.
Annette