[NFB-Krafters-Korner] trivia answer

jellybeanfarm at gmail.com jellybeanfarm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 17:38:27 UTC 2023

Hello:

When I started researching this question I found lots of different numbers.
>From my research it looks like about 50 million people claim to know how to
knit or crochet, but they are not all actively doing it.  It appears that
most of the numbers are coming from craft supply stores.  There were also
some articles on how the numbers went up during the covid pandemic.

Below are some statistics from 2016 that are interesting.

*	28.8 million Americans participated in knitting and/or crochet in
2016.
*	The year, the crafts represented a market of $2.79 billion, with an
average monthly spend per household of $20.57.
*	Knitters and crocheters are likely to also participate in other
needle arts.
*	77% buy their supplies in a physical store. 4% buy outside physical
stores, and 19% buy from both. (Remember, crafters are always researching
new products online first, regardless of where they buy!)
*	62% give the items they craft as gifts. However, knit and crochet
items are the most commonly donated crafts at 18%. 58% also keep their
items.
*	While 18% consider themselves experts (one of the highest
percentages of any craft) the other 82% rate their skills as beginner or
intermediate.
*	71% of knitters and crocheters are female. 29% are male.
*	37% are employed full-time.
*	Like we mentioned, knit and crochet age ranges are fairly even
across the board: 34% are 18+34, 36% are 35-54, and 30% are 55+.

Here is the link if you would like to read more.

https://blog.anthonythomas.com/knitting-and-crochet-today-statistics-trends-
and-more

Nella