[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Why the iPhone doesn't identify colors well

carcione at access.net carcione at access.net
Wed Feb 22 21:38:38 UTC 2023

Someone on the Electronics list explained why the iPhone doesn't identify
colors well, and I thought it was interesting and made sense, so here it is,
for the science-minded.

Dedicated color identifiers have an internal light and a mouth that you
press on the thing you want identified.  The mouth blocks out everything, so
it concentrates on what's right under it and sees it really well.

The phone you hold away from the thing you want to identify, so it picks up
other things, especially if the thing is small.  You can't hold the phone
too close, or it won't get the light it needs to "see" the color, but the
farther away it is, the more other things it sees.

So I bought a color identifier.  Not cheap, but it does the job.

Tracy