[NFB-Krafters-Korner] Memories, I came across this...

blindhands at aol.com blindhands at aol.com
Thu Mar 23 03:26:19 UTC 2023

I had to sit down and put into words my thoughts regarding the work , spirit
and enjoyment I have had working with you.

You became part of the NFB Krafters Division before it was even considered
to be a division.  You took an active part in the email list from the
beginning.  You volunteered to be at our organizational first meeting held
in Dallas  and offered to be First Vice President.  In Dallas, Texas, you
accompanied me to our appointment to talk to Dr. Mauer about kicking this
new division off and he called in Ramona Walhof to help us write up a
constitution for the division.  The three of us sat down in the main hallway
of this huge hotel and worked on writing the constitution for the NFB
Krafters Division.  We had our first meeting the next day.  At that first
meeting we had 29 people in attendance, the constitution was read and voted
upon and you and I were voted in as President, First Vice President, Laury
Porter as Second Vice President,Diane Felipe as treasurer, Audrey Welnar as
Secretary, Ramona walhof as board member and I can't remember our other
board member that was voted in off the floor.

You had already suggested we needed a website and volunteered to work on it.
Soon after we returned home Laurie Porter gave our very first telephone
class via telephone conference call and all of that took place in 2008

The division grew in many ways and you were there and playing such an
important role keeping our website going with constant changing of classes
and upkeep of the website.

You worked hard with our 5 year Celebration of the division making up
contests for each month with prizes and getting pictures of our student's
work up on our Face Book pages.

Last year you read a book that was 11 different stories and in each story
there was a craft project involved in the history or background of the
story.  You reached out and got in contact with the author  and that is how
"Crafting Through the Year" and the book Sewing Can Be Dangerous With a Few
Other Threads by Sara Mallory was introduced to this group.  the author
arranged to get an audible version of her book and put it up on Audible.com
for our listening pleasure and it was available on the Kindel, too.   After
a Monday Night Chat with the author in December 2014 to share with the
Krafters Korner family about her writing crafting and listen to all of us,
we kicked off in January 2015 a chapter per month reading it with a
discussion at the end of the month and a class reflecting one of the crafts
done in the book.  We ended all of this up in December 2015 with the return
of the author and a review of the craft  that we had done.

It was a good time for all.  Sara Mallery had joined us for a couple of our
classes during the year and learned a lot about how blind folks can craft.
She told us about her new upcoming book that was coming out and we hope we
get a chance to read it.

projects we did throughout the year.11 crafting classes reflecting what was
told in her chapters were for a year  and shared with all of us.

Cindy Sheets, you are a Charter Member of the NFB Krafters Division.  I
appreciate all that you have done in the past for this division.  Youare
always welcome here at Krafters Korner.

Joyce Kane, President

NFB Krafters Division

Joyce Kane