[Nfb-lions] New member

Ramona Walhof ramona.walhof at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 03:12:54 UTC 2013

Dar, The Lions International motto is "We serve."  Of course, there is
sharing in that, but virtually all Lions expect to serve in a variety of
different ways.  Every club has its own projects and their own meeting
schedules.  The NFB Lions is an informal group which share ideas about how
to integrate Lions into our own clubs and communities and help our clubs
accept us as blind people and how to help Lions clubs respect blind people
as partners.  Sometimes this takes a little work.  As you get acquainted
with a particular club, individuals are likely to offer transportation when
it is convenient for them, but this may not always happen.

Lions have made helping blind people a priority, but sometimes this means to
them preventing blindness.  I try  to keep reminding them that preventing
blindness is a very good thing, but different from helping blind people.
Helen Keller asked Lions to be "Knights of the blind" in 1927.  They have
taken this challenge seriously, but I think it is fair to say that there are
several different understandings of what that means. Most clubs are glad to
welcome blind members, but you will need to help them understand what you
can do to contribute to their projects.

Dues vary from one district to the next.  There are international and
district, and then club dues.  Thus, the total can be different from club to
club.  My club charges 30 dollars per quarter, and we probably should raise
it.  The NFB Lions group has not charged dues, but perhaps we should.  We
generally hold one meeting at the time and place of our national convention.
Sometimes we have discussions between conventions, and we all do what we can
think of in our various local clubs.  Some of us have held district offices
and most have held local offices.

Please do not hesitate to ask whatever questions you like, but you will need
to get your local information from local clubs.  I think that Montana has
only one district, although some states have more than one.  There may also
be a piece of Canada in the same district as Montana .

If you use the internet, there is a huge Lions Web Site at
www.lionsclubs.org.

Ramona Walhof
NFB Lions co-chair