[Nfb-lions] Requesting Historical Information

Ramona Walhof walhoframona at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 02:36:49 UTC 2016

Lion Paul, I believe there is some history on the international website.  I
expect you know that Melvin Jones was the founder and that 1917 is
considered the year of the founding.  You can tell pretty closely when the
first club in a district began by the district number.  Milton Ota, co-chair
of this NFB Lions group may be able to point you to a more complete
discussion of the history.  I know there are detailed records of when Lions
went into each country and when various decisions were made.  It was either
1925 or 1927 when Helen Keller spoke to Lions and requested them to be
knights of the blind.

I don't know when they started having charter parties, maybe from the very
beginning, but there are records of the beginning of each club.  Now most of
the record-keeping is in Oakbrook, IL, and a lot of it is on the Website.
Some of what is on the Website may be restricted, but much is not.

Ramona