[NFB-Lions] Contact with Cynthia Bianci, E-Learning.

Judy Jones sonshines59 at gmail.com
Fri May 21 20:38:19 UTC 2021

Hi, Terri,

My club secretary is the one that told me about the e-learning site, along with our sponsors from another club.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around all that is out there.

But if you haven't visited the sites in a while, definitely go ahead, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
The whole accessibility thing got started with Chris and I when we discovered we could not fill out our own new member applications back in December, and realized the welcome booklet, information page wasn't known to us until just recently.

Trying to get these two things done, and talking about them on our NFB-Lions led to discussions of the e-learning site and what needs to be done.

The bigger picture I was indicating to Cynthia on our call yesterday is that Lions needs some sort of Accessibility Coordinator, whatever they want to call it, to know what to do and where to go and have the authority to make accessibility happen.

She said it is just recently that Lions has actually recognized the need for and set up support staff.  Before that, if someone had a question, they would get handed off to innumerable people who were supposed to know something.

I suggested that they hire someone certified in AT, to have them be part of the support staff.

I also found out that there are only four telephone support persons to take care of the whole organization.  At least it’s a start.

But Cynthia really understood where I was trying to go, and says they have needed feedback from blind consumers, but not known where to go.

I was kind and didn't rant about the run-around people are getting.

I gave her resources I knew of, encouraged her to get hold of the NFB answer center, and told her how the NFB is god at partnering with organizations for the betterment of the blind.

I gave her the webaim.org site.  I gave her the Freedom Scientific Jaws support site, although I also said there are several screen reader programs out there, other than Jaws.

Milton, I also told her about you and your skills working with online sites.

Judy