[NFB-NM] NFB Recognizes Thirty Outstanding Blind Students

Tonia Trapp tltrapp.7.467 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 01:42:41 UTC 2017

From: NFBNet-Members-List [mailto:nfbnet-members-list-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of National Federation of the Blind via NFBNet-Members-List
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2017 10:43 PM
To: nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Recognizes
Thirty Outstanding Blind Students

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Recognizes Thirty Outstanding Blind
Students

Maureen Nietfeld of Colorado Awarded Top $12,000 Scholarship

Baltimore, Maryland (August 3, 2017): The National Federation of the Blind
(NFB), the nation's oldest and largest organization of blind people, today
announced the winners of its 2017 scholarships, which were awarded at the
organization's recent national convention in Orlando. The winner of the
organization's top prize of $12,000, donated by the American Action Fund for
Blind Children and Adults, is Maureen Nietfeld of Colorado, who is studying
human nutrition and dietetics and specializing in the care of organ
transplant patients. "When I lost my sight I dreamed of being confident, and
I dreamed of being independent and successful. I dreamed of being able to go
back to work and go to school," said Ms. Nietfeld. "Thank you to the
National Federation of the Blind for helping me to make my dreams a
reality!"

Each of the other twenty-nine winners received, at a minimum, a National
Federation of the Blind Scholarship in the amount of $3,000. In addition to
their scholarship, each received a $1,000 check and plaque from inventor and
futurist Dr. Ray Kurzweil, a Google Chromebook laptop, a $1,000 cash award
from Google, and a certificate towards the purchase of a Talking LabQuest
from Independence Science, for a total award for each winner with a minimum
value exceeding $5,000. Here is an alphabetical listing of the other
winners, with their home state, career goal, and scholarship name and amount
(where appropriate):

. Lindsay Ball, ME: Adaptive physical education teacher

. Cricket Bidleman, CA: Anthropology professor ($3,000 Charles and Betty
Allen Scholarship)

. Katherine Brafford, CA: Work at the intersection of science and religion
($8,000 Oracle Scholarship for Excellence in Computer Science)

. Aneri Brahmbhatt, IL: Record label manager

. Shannon Cantan, HI: Business administration ($5,000 Charles and Melva T.
Owen Scholarship)

. Melissa Carney, CT: Clinical psychologist

. Trinh Ha, AR: Dietitian

. Afton Harper, MO: Journalism

. Qusay Hussein, TX: Psychologist

. Catherine Jacobson, MN: Healthcare policy analyst

. Cassandra Mendez, OH: Assistive technology developer ($3,000 Expedia
Scholarship)

. Tabea Meyer, CO: Advocate for marginalized groups ($5,000 Charles and
Melva T. Owen Scholarship)

. Ibeth Miranda, TX: University professor

. Regina D. Mitchell, NV: Psychologist ($8,000 Oracle Scholarship for
Excellence in a STEM Field)

. Jackie Mushington-Anderson, GA: Braille instructor ($10,000 JAWS for
Windows Scholarship)

. Efose Oriaifo, VA: Biotechnology

. Chelsea Peahl, UT: Law/Advocacy ($5,000 Pearson Scholarship)

. Gloria Rodriguez, WA: Disaster mitigation and emergency preparedness

. Carla L. Scroggins, CA: International politics ($3,000 Charles and Melva
T. Owen Scholarship)

. Luke Schwink, KS: Athletic marketing/Player development ($5,000 Mimi and
Marvin Sandler Scholarship)

. Alyssa Shock, NJ: Child psychologist

. Heather Simmons, CA: Literature professor ($3,000 Larry Streeter Memorial
Scholarship)

. Wayne Smith III, MD: Computer engineering/Data security ($3,000 Expedia
Scholarship)

. Andrew Sydlik, PA: English teacher or disability advocate ($3,000 Adrienne
Asch Memorial Scholarship)

. Sophie Trist, LA: Novelist

. Rachel Wellington, GA: STEM career ($3,000 NFB Science and Engineering
Division Scholarship)

. James N. Yesel, ND: Entrepreneur ($3,000 E. U. and Gene Parker
Scholarship)

. Zeynep S. Yilmaz, AZ: Rehabilitation counselor education

. Ayoub Zurikat, TX: Mental health care provider

"The scholarship program is one of our most important initiatives," said
Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind. "We
are proud to honor these blind scholars, who are studying everything from
biotechnology to sports marketing, and in so doing raising the expectations
of what blind people can achieve. Their accomplishments are proof of our
conviction that we, the blind of this nation, can live the lives we want;
blindness does not hold us back."

Several hundred students competed for the scholarships. A committee of blind
persons representing a cross section of the NFB membership, including
several former scholarship winners, narrowed the field to thirty finalists.
Each finalist was then given roundtrip transportation, hotel accommodations,
and assistance to attend the National Federation of the Blind National
Convention in Orlando, where the committee spent several days getting to
know each student. Only after that process was complete did the committee
decide which scholarship to award each finalist. Nearly three thousand blind
people attended the convention, the largest gathering of its kind in the
United States this year.

Special thanks go to the Jesse and Hertha Adams Charitable Trust for its
support of the National Federation of the Blind scholarship program.

###

blindness is not what holds you back.

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9167&qid=1885255

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9168&qid=1885255

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9169&qid=1885255

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9170&qid=1885255

 <mailto:nfb at nfb.org> Image removed by sender. Email Icon Image

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9171&qid=1885255
> Image removed by sender. Donate to the NFB Icon.

National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells Street | Baltimore, MD 21230
| (410) 659-9314
Unsubscribe
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/unsubscribe?reset=1&jid=7325&qid=1885255&h=
1a212688e96d75a8>  | Opt Out
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=7325&qid=1885255&h=1a212
688e96d75a8> |  Sign up for email newsletter
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9172&qid=1885255

200 East Wells Street
Baltimore, MD 21230
United States