[NFB-NM] NFB Comments on US Supreme Court Decision Regarding Individuals with Disabilities Education Act

Tonia Trapp tltrapp.7.467 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 02:00:08 UTC 2017

From: NFBNet-Members-List [mailto:nfbnet-members-list-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of National Federation of the Blind via NFBNet-Members-List
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2017 6:55 PM
To: nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Comments on
US Supreme Court Decision Regarding Individuals with Disabilities Education
Act

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Comments on United States Supreme Court
Decision Regarding Individuals with Disabilities Education Act

Baltimore (March 23, 2017): The National Federation of the Blind today
applauded the unanimous decision of the United States Supreme Court in
Endrew F. v. Douglas County School District, (Docket No. 15-827).

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
"While we would have preferred an even stronger ruling, this decision
clearly represents a shift from the paradigm of low expectations that has
led to frustration and failure for so many blind students and their
families. I know the frustration with this paradigm all too well myself, as
both a blind person and a parent of blind children. The National Federation
of the Blind knows that one of the biggest hurdles that students with
disabilities confront is the low expectations too often set for them by
well-meaning but misguided professionals in the education field. The Supreme
Court of the United States has now affirmed that the blind and other
students with disabilities can, and should, be expected to meet challenges
and advance academically. The National Federation of the Blind stands ready
to collaborate with educational administrators, teachers and parents of
blind students to ensure that all blind students receive the kind of free
appropriate public education that the IDEA and the Supreme Court's new
interpretation of it require. At the same time, we will continue to hold
school systems accountable when they fail to meet these requirements."

In delivering the unanimous opinion of the High Court, United States Chief
Justice John G. Roberts Jr. wrote in part: "The goals may differ, but every
child should have the chance to meet challenging objectives. This standard
is more demanding than the 'merely more than de minimis' test applied by the
Tenth Circuit. . When all is said and done, a student offered an educational
program providing 'merely more than de minimis' progress from year to year
can hardly be said to have been offered an education at all."

###

blindness is not what holds you back.

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7622&qid=1753342

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7623&qid=1753342

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7624&qid=1753342

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7625&qid=1753342

 <mailto:nfb at nfb.org> Image removed by sender. Email Icon Image

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7626&qid=1753342
> Image removed by sender. Donate to the NFB Icon.

National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells Street | Baltimore, MD 21230
| (410) 659-9314
Unsubscribe
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=6013&qid=1753342&h=9219a
690d1213004>  | Opt Out