[NFB-NM] FW: [Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Announces 2017 Scholarship Program Finalists

Tonia Trapp tltrapp.7.467 at gmail.com
Fri May 12 02:04:19 UTC 2017

From: NFBNet-Members-List [mailto:nfbnet-members-list-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of National Federation of the Blind via NFBNet-Members-List
Sent: Thursday, May 11, 2017 4:44 PM
To: nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfbnet-members-list] National Federation of the Blind Announces
2017 Scholarship Program Finalists

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Announces 2017 Scholarship Program
Finalists

Baltimore, Maryland (May 11, 2017): The National Federation of the Blind
(NFB), the nation's oldest and largest organization of blind people, today
announced the finalists for its 2017 Scholarship Program, which awards
thirty scholarships each year to recognize achievement by blind scholars.
The students are listed below in alphabetical order with their home states
and vocational goals.

*	Lindsay Ball, ME: Adaptive physical education teacher
*	Cricket Bidleman, CA: Anthropology professor
*	Katherine Brafford, CA: Work at the intersection of science and
religion
*	Aneri Brahmbhatt, IL: Record label manager
*	Shannon Cantan, HI: Business administration
*	Melissa Carney, CT: Clinical psychologist
*	Trinh Ha, AR: Dietitian
*	Afton Harper, MO: Journalism
*	Qusay Hussein, TX: Psychologist
*	Catherine Jacobson, MN: Healthcare policy analyst
*	Cassandra Mendez, OH: Assistive technology developer
*	Tabea Meyer, CO: Advocate for marginalized groups
*	Ibeth Miranda, TX: University professor
*	Regina D. Mitchell, NV: Psychologist
*	Jackie Mushington-Anderson, GA: Braille instructor
*	Maureen Nietfeld, CO: Dietitian/Nutritionist
*	Efose Oriaifo, VA: Biotechnology
*	Chelsea Peahl, UT: Law/Advocacy
*	Gloria Rodriguez, WA: Disaster mitigation and emergency preparedness

*	Carla L. Scroggins, CA: International politics
*	Luke Schwink, KS: Athletic marketing/Player development
*	Alyssa Shock, NJ: Child psychologist
*	Heather Simmons, CA: Literature professor
*	Wayne Smith III, MD: Computer engineering/Data security
*	Andrew Sydlik, PA: English teacher or disability advocate
*	Sophie Trist, LA: Novelist
*	Rachel Wellington, GA: STEM career
*	James N. Yesel, ND: Entrepreneur
*	Zeynep S. Yilmaz, AZ: Rehabilitation counselor education
*	Ayoub Zurikat, TX: Mental health care provider

"The scholarship program is one of our most important initiatives," said
Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind. "We
are proud to honor these blind scholars, who are studying everything from
biotechnology to anthropology, and to welcome each of them to our upcoming
national convention and to the family of the National Federation of the
Blind. The accomplishments of these outstanding students are proof of our
conviction that we, the blind of this nation, can live the lives we want;
blindness does not hold us back."

Each finalist will attend the NFB's seventy-seventh annual national
convention, beginning July 10, in Orlando, Florida, where the Scholarship
Committee will spend several days getting to know each student and then
decide which scholarship (ranging in value from $3,000 to $12,000) to award
each of them. The scholarship winners will then be announced at the banquet
of the NFB National Convention on Saturday, July 15.

For more information on the National Federation of the Blind Scholarship
Program, visit www.nfb.org/scholarships
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=8404&qid=1788651
> .

###

blindness is not what holds you back.

For more information about the National Federation of the Blind, please
visit: www.nfb.org
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=8405&qid=1788651

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=8406&qid=1788651

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=8407&qid=1788651

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=8408&qid=1788651

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=8409&qid=1788651

 <mailto:nfb at nfb.org> Image removed by sender. Email Icon Image

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=8410&qid=1788651
> Image removed by sender. Donate to the NFB Icon.

National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells Street | Baltimore, MD 21230
| (410) 659-9314
Unsubscribe
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/unsubscribe?reset=1&jid=6794&qid=1788651&h=
e07c41522a7ba2d1>  | Opt Out
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=6794&qid=1788651&h=e07c4
1522a7ba2d1> |  Sign up for email newsletter
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=8411&qid=1788651

200 East Wells Street
Baltimore, MD 21230
United States