[NFB-NM] Blind School Board Member Has Settled With California School District

Tonia Trapp tltrapp.7.467 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 02:44:49 UTC 2017

From: NFBNet-Members-List [mailto:nfbnet-members-list-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of National Federation of the Blind via NFBNet-Members-List
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2017 6:18 PM
To: nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfbnet-members-list] Blind School Board Member Has Settled With
School District

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Blind School Board Member Has Settled With School District

National Federation of the Blind Applauds Agreement Resolving Accommodation
Issues

Baltimore, Maryland (October 18, 2017): A blind man's litigation against a
California school district on whose governing board he serves has been
resolved by agreement of the parties.

Timothy R. Nonn, who was elected to the board of the Cotati Rohnert Park
Unified School District last year, sued the district and its superintendent
with the assistance of the National Federation of the Blind because three
sitting members of the school board had voted against his request to use an
aid that he personally hired and trained to read documents to him at school
board meetings. The agreement specifies that Mr. Nonn can hire and train his
own aids to assist him at board meetings and in most situations where he is
acting in his official capacity.

"We assisted Mr. Nonn in this litigation because it is critically important
that political opponents of elected representatives who are blind be
prevented from discriminating against them by denying accommodations and
access to information," said Mark Riccobono, President of the National
Federation of the Blind. "We are therefore pleased that this litigation has
been amicably resolved and that Mr. Nonn will have the accommodations he
needs going forward."

"I am profoundly grateful for the support of the National Federation of the
Blind," said Mr. Nonn. "Without its help, I would not have been provided
with proper accommodations for my blindness. This experience has taught me
the importance not only of blind people standing up for our rights, but
standing together. This victory also enables me to effectively advocate for
the rights of students with special needs who are being denied
accommodations."

The United States District Court, Northern District of California, approved
the agreement and dismissed the litigation (Case No. 3:17-cv-00761-JCS) on
September 13. Neither Mr. Nonn nor the school district admit any wrongdoing.

###

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), headquartered in Baltimore, is
the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind Americans. Founded
in 1940, the NFB consists of affiliates, chapters, and divisions in the
fifty states, Washington DC, and Puerto Rico. The NFB defends the rights of
blind people of all ages and provides information and support to families
with blind children, older Americans who are losing vision, and more. We
believe in the hopes and dreams of blind people and work together to
transform them into reality. Learn more about our many programs and
initiatives at www.nfb.org <http://www.nfb.org/> .

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9610&qid=1975045

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9611&qid=1975045

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9612&qid=1975045

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9613&qid=1975045

 <mailto:nfb at nfb.org> Image removed by sender. Email Icon Image

<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9614&qid=1975045
> Image removed by sender. Donate to the NFB Icon.

National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells Street | Baltimore, MD 21230
| (410) 659-9314
Unsubscribe
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/unsubscribe?reset=1&jid=7671&qid=1975045&h=
889527f08a045ff6>  | Opt Out
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=7671&qid=1975045&h=88952
7f08a045ff6> |  Sign up for email newsletter
<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9615&qid=1975045

200 East Wells Street
Baltimore, MD 21230
United States

<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_cam
paign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> Image removed by sender.

Virus-free.
<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_cam
paign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient> www.avg.com