[NFB-NM] Que Pasa, April 2019

Tonia Trapp nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 15:37:33 UTC 2019

QUE PASA

April 2019

Quarterly newsletter of the National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico,
published on www.nfbnm.org, on New Mexico Newsline, and on NFB Newsline.

Adelmo Vigil

President, NFB of New Mexico

E-mail: nfbnewmexicopresident at gmail.com

(575) 921-5422

Tonia Trapp, Editor

E-mail: nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com

(505) 856-5346

ARTICLE SUBMISSIONS

To submit an article or recipe for possible inclusion in this newsletter,
please email it to nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com. By submitting your
article or other material, you are agreeing to the following:

*You assert that your article does not violate any confidentiality,
copyright, or other laws, and that it is not intended to slander, defame, or
mislead.

*The NFB of New Mexico (NFBNM) has the discretion to publish and distribute
the article either in whole or in part.

*NFBNM is authorized to edit the article for formatting, length and content.

*NFBNM reserves the right to not publish submissions for any reason.

Contents

PREAMBLE. 2

THE POWER of LOVE and COMMITMENT. 3

SNACK BAG SALE. 7

HADLEY BOOK CHAT ANNOUNCEMENT. 7

SECRETARY TOULOUSE OLIVER AWARDED "OUTSTANDING INNOVATIONS IN ELECTIONS". 7

U.S. Election Assistance Commission. 8

AT SEA AGAIN.. 9

ABLE: ACHIEVING A BETTER LIFE EXPERIENCE. 12

GOOD EATING.. 14

REDUCED-CALORIE SHAKE. 14

SCOOPY SALMON SALAD FOR TWO.. 16

LOW-CAL EGG BAKE. 16

USEFUL WEBSITES, APPS, AND TELEPHONE NUMBERS. 18

MEETINGS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS. 18

PREAMBLE

The National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico (NFBNM) is a 501(c)(3)
consumer organization comprised of blind and sighted people committed to
changing what it means to be blind. Though blindness is still all too often
a tragedy to those who face it, we know from our own personal experience
that with training and opportunity, it can be reduced to the level of a
physical nuisance. We work to see that blind people receive services and
training to which they are entitled and that parents of blind children
receive the advice and support they need to help their youngsters grow up to
be happy, productive adults. We believe that first-class citizenship means
that people have both rights and responsibilities, and we are determined to
see that blind people become first-class citizens of these United States,
enjoying their rights and fulfilling their responsibilities. The most
serious problems we face have less to do with our lack of vision than with
discrimination based on the public's ignorance and misinformation about
blindness. Join us in educating New Mexicans about the abilities and
aspirations of New Mexico's blind citizens.

(Adapted from NFB of Ohio newsletter.)

THE POWER of LOVE and COMMITMENT

By Nancy Burns

Commitment is a commonly-used word in today's vocabulary. Television
commercials may boast of a commitment to giving the buyer the best deal if
you purchase a car from this dealership. Banks or loaning agencies may boast
of being committed to providing customers with the best rates. Every
business from grocery stores to shoe stores may boast of their commitment to
providing customers with the lowest price. All of these promises seem to
dilute the true meaning of commitment as they are tossed around so
frequently and casually.

The National Federation of the Blind exemplifies the true meaning of
commitment. This organization, which stretches from coast to coast and from
Alaska to Puerto Rico, provides sincere commitment to the blind, visually
impaired, and to their friends and family. At the root of this philosophy
lies the belief that blind individuals will lead happy and productive lives
if they have a positive attitude and the proper training.

The best way for this writer to explain commitment is to share some of my
own personal experiences. At the age of eleven I suddenly lost my vision as
the result of a traumatic injury to both eyes. This took place in Southern
Missouri where I grew up and attended school. My parents knew nothing about
blindness, mostly survived on denial, and were certain that the next of
numerous surgeries would restore my vision. This, however, did not happen.

A representative from the school board visited and told us about a school
for the blind in St. Louis. I was sent, although reluctantly, to this
school, and that was the best thing that ever happened to me. It became the
beginning of the belief in myself as I saw blind, active students. They
roller-skated, swam, carried around large Braille books, and worked on
homework assignments. Shortly after enrolling, I was taught Braille, and
soon I found that I too could skate, swim, and read my assignments in
Braille.

As I was ready to begin the tenth grade, my Mother told my sister and me
that we were moving to California. We were not pleased with this decision,
but the move was made. It was assumed that I would again attend a school for
the blind, but this was not the case. We were living in the Los Angeles
area, and the California School for the Blind was in Northern California.

This transition in my life was yet another important turning point. I was
enrolled in a large metropolitan high school in Los Angeles. This move
assisted me to adjust from the segregated school for the blind to the "real"
world of sighted students. This is where I had the privilege of meeting Dr.
Isabelle Grant. I find it difficult to verbalize the right words to express
the important role she played in my life. She was a tiny bundle of energy
who said that she was Scottish, not Scotch, which she explained was
something one might drink.

Dr. Grant had been the principal of a large L.A. school until she lost her
sight as the result of glaucoma. She was then placed in a resource room in
the school I attended. This was way below her qualifications, but her impact
on the blind students who returned from the classroom to that resource room
was nothing short of phenomenal. If I asked her the meaning of a word, she
didn't stop at the definition but would tell me the derivation. She also
strongly encouraged me to take the college prerequisites. Prior to her
encouragement I had no intention of attending college, and without her
support, I doubt that I would have gone on to UCLA. Much of who I became and
who I am is the result of my association with Dr. Isabelle Grant. She opened
my mind to possibilities that I might never have considered without her
encouragement. She was truly a huge influence in my life.

In addition to her academic support, Dr. Grant began speaking to me about
this organization of blind people. She invited me to her home one Friday
evening, and I just went because she wanted me to do so. I was only a high
school student, and I pictured this room full of not just blind people, but
probably old, blind people. Some of these attendees were possibly in their
40's or even 50's, while I was a kid of only seventeen. With her white cane,
Dr. Grant took us by bus through busy Friday evening Los Angeles traffic to
her home. Blind men and women began arriving, and I met mechanics,
homemakers, social workers, and office workers. During a break, Dr. Grant
served tea and cookies. What an eye-opener this all was, no pun intended.
This was the beginning of a true commitment to me on the part of Dr.
Isabelle Grant. No other individual has ever impacted my life in such a
positive manner. She encouraged me and began filling me with NFB philosophy.
What an awesome honor for me to have her guidance.

After graduating from high school, I met several college students and once
again the name National Federation of the Blind popped up. I found myself in
the students' group and even became president. This was the first of many
positions I have held within the NFB. This was also another lesson in the
true meaning of commitment. Students supported one another in many areas of
life. During these years, the influence of Dr. Grant was again felt. She
spoke with students and discussed the importance of organizing and of the
impact that Dr. tenBroek was having on the blind population. She told us
about the work of state and national conventions and encouraged students to
become involved. As a blind teacher, she led the movement in California to
remove the vision requirement for teachers. She put forth the argument that
as long as an applicant was otherwise qualified, there should be no vision
test required. With her support, a law was passed revoking the controversial
vision requirement.

I moved to San Francisco and completed my Bachelor's degree in sociology at
San Francisco State. My good fortune continued to follow me, as that was
where I met Laurence (Muzzy) Marcelino, another dynamic leader in the
National Federation of the Blind. I joined the local San Francisco chapter
and experienced my own commitment to the NFB growing.

After completing my Bachelor's degree, I returned to Los Angeles and became
even more involved in the NFB. As this organization had become a huge
training mechanism for me, I became totally involved and organized several
local chapters. Even after marrying and having two sons, my commitment to
the National Federation of the Blind continued to grow. I remember bundling
my babies up, and my husband and I took them along to chapter meetings.

I began attending state and national conventions and was elected to the
California Board of Directors in the 1970's. My husband and I divorced, and
I gained full custody of my boys. I was hired by the California State
Department of Rehabilitation and maintained my involvement in the National
Federation of the blind.

In 1993 my life took yet another huge turn while attending the NFB National
Convention in Dallas, Texas. It was there where I met Don Burns, a gentleman
who asked me to dance with him at a huge bar-b-q. He was just starting to
get involved in the NFB. Don was losing his vision, had recently lost his
wife, and was struggling with his future. He was from New Mexico and had
connected with Fred Schroeder and Adelmo Vigil, who became his mentors. Don
and I hit it off immediately, and three months later we were married.

Don told me of an opening in the Commission for the Blind training center
where he was working as a cane travel instructor. While still working in
California, I had completed my Master's degree in counseling and psychology
and was not certain as to where I wanted to work. I applied and was hired
for the position of Independent Living Instructor, so I moved to New Mexico.

Besides our love for one another, Don and I both shared a commitment to the
National Federation of the Blind. He confided that after losing his job in
the field of construction for many years, then losing his wife, he had
struggled until he met members of the National Federation of the Blind. Our
love for one another along with our commitment to the National Federation of
the Blind has continued to develop and grow.

After working for the Commission for the Blind for a year, Don and I moved
to Burbank, California where I still owned property. We both maintained our
involvement in the National Federation of the Blind. Don was appointed to
the position of Legislative Director for the NFB of California by
then-NFBC-President, Jim Willows. Don became active in the causes of the
California affiliate. He worked for several years on NFBC legislation, and
his work was instrumental in creating Braille and math standards for blind
students in California.

I was elected state president in 2000 and served until 2006, at which time
we moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico. Prior to this move, Don and I witnessed
the passage of legislation which brought Braille and math standards for
blind students into existence. After moving to New Mexico, Don and I
maintained our commitment to the National Federation of the Blind. It is my
sincere hope that I have been able to give to others even a small portion of
the gift which was given to me by Dr. Isabelle Grant. She was the epitome of
love and commitment, and her influence is still felt within the National
Federation of the Blind. The best way for me to describe the influence of
Dr. Isabelle Grant on my life is to quote some words from Eleanor Roosevelt:
"Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will
leave footprints on your heart."

SNACK BAG SALE

Please visit the Albuquerque Chapter table at our state convention April
5-6, 2019. For our fundraiser this year, we will be selling snack bags.
These bags will include the following: Fruit Snack, nuts, a Chewy Granola
Bar, Hershey's Kisses and a bottle of water with a Propel drink packet. Each
item is prepackaged and individually wrapped, all for the low price of
$5.00.

Our fundraisers help us promote chapter events and activities that encourage
self-confidence and provide inspiration for the blind and their loved ones.

With your support, the Albuquerque Chapter can continue to raise the
between blind people and our dreams. We thank you in advance for your
support.

HADLEY BOOK CHAT ANNOUNCEMENT

Do you enjoy reading and discussing books? If so, the Hadley Book Chat might
be the place for you! All group members read the same book each month, and
we normally meet on the first Monday of the month at 1:00 CST. Our next
meeting is April 1 at 1:00 CST. We'll be discussing Lilac Girls by Martha
Hall Kelly. For further information, contact Debbie Siegel at
siegel at hadley.edu or 800-323-4238 ext. 6670.

SECRETARY TOULOUSE OLIVER AWARDED "OUTSTANDING INNOVATIONS IN ELECTIONS"

U.S. Election Assistance Commission

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact:

Alex Curtas, Director of Communications

505-469-2783

Secretary Toulouse Oliver Awarded "Outstanding Innovations in Elections" by
the U.S. Election Assistance Commission

Blind and Visually Impaired Absentee Ballot System Recognized

SANTA FE - New Mexico Secretary of State Maggie Toulouse Oliver has received
the 2018 "Clearie" Award for Outstanding Innovations in Elections by the
U.S. Election Assistance Commission (EAC) for her implementation of a new
electronic ballot software system that allows blind and visually impaired
voters to independently and privately cast an absentee ballot.

"Every eligible voter deserves the dignity and convenience of being able to
mark their ballot in an independent and private manner, which is exactly
what our electronic ballot system does for blind and visually impaired
voters," said Secretary Toulouse Oliver. "I want to thank the U.S. Election
Administration Commission for this award and I want to dedicate it to the
determined efforts of New Mexico's blind and visually impaired community who
worked closely with me and my office to ensure blind and visually impaired
voters have fair and equal access to the ballot box."

According to the EAC, the annual "Clearie" awards "recognize best practices
in election administration and highlight exemplary models which can serve as
examples to other officials and jurisdictions."

"We are thrilled to recognize Secretary Toulouse Oliver and her team for
their innovative approach to serving voters with disabilities," said EAC
Chairman Thomas Hicks. "We are proud to share details about this program
with election officials across the nation, as well as the voters they
serve."

Secretary Toulouse Oliver and her staff worked closely with the National
Federation of the Blind of New Mexico and the New Mexico Commission for the
Blind to create the system that allows blind and visually impaired voters to
independently mark, print, and return their absentee ballot. As KOB News 4
noted in 2018 as the Secretary of State announced the new system, "New
Mexico is leading the country when it comes to making absentee voting more
accessible."

"The National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico deeply appreciates
Secretary of State Maggie Toulouse Oliver," said Adelmo Vigil, President of
the National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico. "Because of her work,
blind voters in New Mexico, for the very first time in history, can now
independently and privately mark the printed absentee ballot using the
low-vision and nonvisual access technology of their choice. Secretary
Toulouse Oliver worked closely with us to make this happen. She provided
public testimony and support for the legislation that brought all of this
about. She is a true friend of the blind."

Greg Trapp, Executive Director of the New Mexico Commission for the Blind
added to Mr. Vigil's remarks, saying, "Because of the efforts of Secretary
of State Toulouse Oliver and of the National Federation of the Blind, blind
and visually impaired citizens of New Mexico can now fully and equally
participate in the fundamental right to vote. This is a tremendous step
forward, and New Mexico can take pride in what the Secretary of State and
National Federation of the Blind have accomplished."