[NFB-NM] NFBNM 2020 Virtual Convention Agenda

Adelmo Vigil nfbnewmexicopresident at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 17:41:58 UTC 2020

Greetings Federation family,

We are looking forward to our Virtual Convention and hope you are too. A couple of reminders SAGE will have their meeting on Tuesday the 24th and NMABS will meet on Thursday the 27th, both at 7:00 p.m. we ask that you call in by 6:45 so that we can start promptly at 7:00pm.

Attached is the agenda and I will attempt to copy it below. We are working on getting the Zooms scheduled and this information will be out next week.

You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back. The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams.

State Convention Agenda

August 28-29, 2020

A Virtual Convention

Held via Zoom

Adelmo Vigil, President

National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico (NFBNM)

575-921-5422

NFBNewMexicoPresident at gmail.com <mailto:NFBNewMexicoPresident at gmail.com>

DOOR PRIZES:

Door prizes will be drawn during general convention sessions and during the banquet. To win, you must be registered for the convention, and you must be present when your name is called.

Code of Conduct

We welcome all attendees to our convention and embrace diversity, inclusion, and mutual respect. Although we are meeting via Zoom these items are still relevant. To that end, please keep the following expectations in mind when you join us:

The National Federation of the Blind provides support to members and advocates for our rights to live the lives we want through advocacy, public awareness, and mentoring. As a member or guest at our convention, you not only represent yourself but also our organization. We want you to enjoy your time with us, make new friends and renew old acquaintances. Although we encourage members to socialize and have fun, the convention also provides an important opportunity to come together to continue the work of our organization, to learn about the important initiatives that we are involved with on a local and national level, and to plan our work for the future.

Please remember these guidelines:
1. Welcome new attendees: Although you will undoubtedly enjoy time with your friends, please reach out to those who have never joined us before and help them to be comfortable. We welcome people from all walks of life and with diverse needs and experiences.

2. Attend and participate in sessions.

3. Sexual harassment will not be tolerated under any circumstances. If your behavior could possibly make anyone uncomfortable, even if you would not be upset by it yourself, do not do or say anything that could be considered inappropriate by anyone.

Zoom Meeting Etiquette:

Stay on mute if you are not speaking to the group.

Raise your hand if you wish to talk, wait for an indication from host before beginning.

If on video, please do not eat or move about in any way that could be a distraction to others watching.

Stay focused and enjoy.

Monday, August 24, 2020

 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM

Board of Directors Meeting, Adelmo Vigil, President, NFBNM

Friday, August 28, 2020

 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM

Resolutions

Urja Lansing, Chairperson, Resolutions Committee, NFBNM

10:00 AM - 11:45 AM

Giving the Gift: A Discussion about forming an interest group relating to arts and entertainment

Joaquin Luna, Member, West Mesa Chapter and Larry Lorenzo, Member, White Sands Chapter

General Session Part 1

1:00 PM - 1:20 AM

Call to Order

Adelmo Vigil, President, NFBNM

 Door Prize

Invocation

        Ernest Esquibel, 1st Vice President, Albuquerque Chapter, NFBNM

        Pledge of Allegiance

Valeria Ceballos, 4th Grade Student at Zia Elementary School

(Recited in English and in Spanish)

National Anthem

Diana Marquez, Member, Albuquerque Chapter, NFBNM

NFB Pledge

Carlos Sanchez, Founder, Legally Blind Artistry

The National Federation of the Blind Pledge

I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its constitution.

        Announcements and Convention Arrangements

1:20 PM - 1:25 PM

          Greetings from the City of Albuquerque

          Alan Armijo, Director of Constituent Services, Office of the Mayor

1:30 PM - 2:00 PM

         No-Nonsense Tips from America’s Only Blind Comic and Game Shop Owner,

         Richard Early, Paradox Comics-N-Cards, and Board Member, National Federation of the Blind of North Dakota

 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM

        Pre-Authorized Contribution (PAC) Plan

        Tara Chavez, Chairperson, PAC Plan Committee, NFBNM

2:15 PM - 2:40 PM

       President's Report

       Adelmo Vigil, President, NFBNM

Door Prize

2:40 PM - 3:25 PM

        Report from our National Office

        James Gashel, National Representative, Secretary, National Federation of the Blind

3:25 PM - 3:55 PM

My Blindness, Myself

        Lucy Mallahan, President, New Mexico Parents of Blind Children (NMPOBC), NFBNM

        This member of our Federation family will tell her story of blindness and how the Federation has helped her live the life she wants.

3:55 PM - 4:00 PM

        Questions and Announcements

 Door Prize

4:30 PM - 5:30 PM

        Town Forum: Services and Priorities of the New Mexico Commission for the Blind

5:30 PM - 6:00 PM

        Nominating Committee

         Caroline Benavidez, Chairperson, Nominating Committee

        This is a closed meeting open only to chapter and division presidents.

7:30 PM - 9:00 PM

       Social Gathering

       Jedi Moerke, President, White Sands Chapter, NFBNM

Saturday, August 29, 2020

9:00 AM - 10:30 AM

          Discussion about Forming an Interest Group for Rehabilitation Professionals

         Jedi Moerke, President, White Sands Chapter, NFBNM

10:30 AM - Noon

         Growing Diversity In Our Organization

         Daphne Mitchell, Member, Albuquerque Chapter, NFBNM

 Noon - 1:30 PM

           State Convention Banquet

           Mistress of Ceremonies, Daphne Mitchell, Member, Albuquerque Chapter, NFBNM

           Door Prize

           Invocation

           Brianne Kotschwar, Board Member, Albuquerque Chapter, NFBNM

Keynote Speaker

           James Gashel, National Representative, Secretary, National Federation of the Blind

General Session Part 2

1:30 PM - 2:00 PM

Status Report on the New Mexico Commission for the Blind

          Greg Trapp, Executive Director, New Mexico Commission for the Blind

          Door Prize

 2:05 PM - 2:20 PM

Road to Finding Work in the Arts

           Sherry E. Shirek, Secretary, National Federation of the Blind of North Dakota

2:20 PM - 2:40 PM

Status Report on the New Mexico School for the Blind and Visually Impaired (NMSBVI)

           Patricia Beecher, Acting Superintendent, NMSBVI

2:40 PM - 3:00 PM

Report on the Washington Seminar

          Adelmo Vigil, President, NFBNM

          Kaden Calahan, President, Student Division, NFBNM

          Tara Chavez, President, Albuquerque Chapter, NFBNM

3:00 PM - 5:45 PM

            Business Meeting

Resolutions

            Urja Lansing, Chairperson, Resolutions Committee, NFBNM

Minutes of 2019 State Convention

            Tonia Trapp, Secretary, NFBNM

            Treasurer's Report

            Curtis Chong, Treasurer, NFBNM

Elections

           Caroline Benavidez, Chairperson, Nominating Committee, NFBNM

5:45 PM - 6:00 PM

           Door Prize

           Final Announcements, Closing Remarks, and Adjourn

CHAPTERS AND DIVISIONS

CHAPTERS

Albuquerque Chapter (Albuquerque)

President, Tara Chavez 505-328-3349

Nfb.AbqChapter at gmail.com <mailto:Nfb.AbqChapter at gmail.com>

Mesilla Valley (Las Cruces)

President, Maya Alvarado 575-449-1091

NFBNMMesillaValleyPresident at gmail.com <mailto:NFBNMMesillaValleyPresident at gmail.com>

San Juan (Farmington)

President, Nathalie Martin 801-574-1268

NFBSanJuanPresident at gmail.com <mailto:NFBSanJuanPresident at gmail.com>

West Mesa (Albuquerque)

President, German Benitez 505-702-5044

NFBNM.WestMesaChapter at gmail.com <mailto:NFBNM.WestMesaChapter at gmail.com>

White Sands (Alamogordo)

President, Jedi Moerke 575-446-9984

NFBNM.WhiteSandsChapter at gmail.com <mailto:NFBNM.WhiteSandsChapter at gmail.com>

DIVISIONS

New Mexico Association of Blind Students (NMABS)

President, Kaden Calahan 505-290-4100

president.nmabs at gmail.com <mailto:president.nmabs at gmail.com>

New Mexico Parents of Blind Children (NMPOBC)

President, Lucy Mallahan 615-971-0999
nfbnm.pobc at gmail.com <mailto:nfbnm.pobc at gmail.com>

Senior Action Group Energy (SAGE)

President, Veronica Smith 505-269-1034
nfbnm.sage at gmail.com <mailto:nfbnm.sage at gmail.com>

NFBNM BOARD MEMBERS

President

Adelmo Vigil, Alamogordo            term expires 2020

First Vice President

Caroline Benavidez, Albuquerque  term expires 2020

Second Vice President

Tara Chavez, Albuquerque           term expires 2020

Secretary

Tonia Trapp, Albuquerque           term expires 2020

Treasurer

Curtis Chong, Aurora, CO             term expires 2020

Board Member

Martin Gallegos, Santa Fe            term expires 2020

Board Member

Ernie Esquibel, Albuquerque         term expires 2020

Board Member

ShaRon Dandy, Albuquerque       term expires 2020

Board Member

Nathalie Martin, Farmington         term expires 2021

Board Member

Urja Lansing, Albuquerque           term expires 2021

Board Member

Peggy Hayes, Alamogordo           term expires 2021

Our Hope

We hope that by attending our convention your expectations of yourself are raised, so that blindness is no longer the characteristic that defines you or your future, and that low expectations no longer stand between you and your dreams. We want you

to become empowered to live the life you want.

THANK YOU TO OUR SUPPORTERS AND FRIENDS

We wish to thank James Gashel, Secretary, National Federation of the Blind

for serving as our national representative. The national perspective you brought to us is so important to our achievement of equality, security, and opportunity.

Cheers to everyone who appeared on the agenda, and to all who chaired

and/or served on committees.

We would like to thank the following individuals and organizations for their generosity in providing financial support for the work that we do:

Rob and Kelly Ortman at Silver Street Market

Shauna Shannon with New Mexico Bank & Trust

Ann Rhoades with People Ink

We hope to see you all next year.

Adelmo Vigil, President

 <mailto:NFBNewMexicoPresident at gmail.com> NFBNewMexicoPresident at gmail.com

(575) 921-5422

 <http://www.nfbnm.org/> www.nfbnm.org

The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.

 <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org

 <http://www.nfbnm.org/> ​ <https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https://nfb.org/&data=02|01|sarahrv@hotmail.com|1bc2cc05190e46a0b6ed08d5214e9c49|84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa|1|0|636451544831901854&sdata=67ePy8pS960Xkgtj5A2kWATL8vzfKKOLqKZtgdr%2Bhqo%3D&reserved=0>

(National Federation of the Blind - Live the life you want.