[NFB-NM] FW: Coronavirus Testing Options for Persons who are Blind or Visually Impaired

nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 04:22:56 UTC 2020

Best wishes,

From: Trapp, Greg, CFB <Greg.Trapp at state.nm.us>
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2020 2:45 AM
To: 'nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com' <nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com>
Subject: Coronavirus Testing Options for Persons who are Blind or Visually
Impaired

MEMORANDUM

DATE: August 20, 2020
RE: Coronavirus Testing Options for Persons who are Blind or Visually
Impaired

New Mexico has made significant progress in reducing our Coronavirus cases,
with a seven-day rolling average of 137 cases reported for the week that
ended August 13. This is below the state's reopening criteria of 168 cases
per day.

However, we are still seeing long waits at both walk-in and drive-through
Coronavirus testing centers. In addition, persons who are blind are facing
significant barriers in getting tested. If you are experiencing symptoms of
infection with the Coronavirus and wish to get tested but cannot get to a
testing center because you are blind or visually impaired, it is possible
that a public health nurse may be able to come to your home and conduct the
test. A request can be submitted to the New Mexico Department of Health
through their Coronavirus Health Information Hotline at 1-855-600-3453. You
should explain your situation, and how your blindness prevents you from
getting tested. Your health provider should also be able to help facilitate
testing, and it is always best to coordinate your health needs with your
health provider. Of course, if you are experiencing a health emergency, you
should call 911.

According to the New Mexico Department of Health and the Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention (CDC), the symptoms for infection with the
Coronavirus are as follows:

Fever or chills; cough; shortness of breath or difficulty breathing; sore
throat; body aches; loss of taste or smell; diarrhea; vomiting or nausea;
headaches; or fatigue.

We are in unprecedented times, and it is the strength of our community
working together that will get us through this crisis.

Greg

Greg Trapp, JD
Executive Director
New Mexico Commission for the Blind