[NFB-NM] FW: March SAGE meeting announcement

nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com nfbnewmexicosecretary at gmail.com
Thu Feb 29 18:22:03 UTC 2024

 <mailto:NFBNM.sage at gmail.com> NFBNM.sage at gmail.com

Every month we get together to learn about blindness. We get together to
learn how others do the things they do after they lose their vision,
something they have relied on for some or all of their lives.
Our next meeting is Wednesday, March 13, 2024 at 7:00 P. M. Mountain time in
our Zoom Room.
Urja Lansing has graciously agreed to come and tell us about her life. Here
is her biography.
My journey has been positively influenced by 3 major factors or experiences.
The first influence is that of my family. I entered this world on May 20th,
1948, the second of 4 children living in a small town in Iowa. As soon as my
parents realized I had very limited vision, we made several visits to all
kinds of doctors only to learn there was nothing that could improve the
vision. So with the love and support of my family, we traveled, I rode my
horse along with my sisters, and graduated from public high school. All of
this was without the benefit of using Braille, using a white cane and no
positive blind people in my life. You can imagine I felt-dependent on
others, very shy, felt inferior and second class.

The second major influence in my life came after graduating from high
school. In 1966, I enrolled in the Orientation and Training Center at the
Commission for the Blind in Des Moines directed by Dr. Jernigan. I soon
learned about and joined the NFB of Iowa, and shortly there after attended
my first national convention

Well equipped with the alternative techniques I learned at the Center, the
NFB philosophy ,and much needed self confidence, I continued my journey.
Some highlights follow: graduated from the University of Iowa with a
teaching degree majoring in math and science, taught 7th grade math in
public school, turned down a 3rd year contract to work for Dr. Jernigan at
the Commission, moved to Seattle to accept a teaching position in the OTC at
the Washington Department of Services for the Blind, taught Braille to
non-English speakers in ESL classes, Spent time caring for my precious
niece, and worked in lodges on the wild and scenic stretch of the Rogue
River in southern Oregan.

The third major influence in my life occurred in 1993 when I embarked on a
path of spirituality. Armed with this powerful influence, I continued my
journey living life with confidence, gratitude and a new purpose. Following
are some events I have experienced since the early 1990's: served as the
primary hospice care giver for a dear friend, moved to Albany, CA and lived
2 blocks from Pat and Jack Munson, moved to Edgewood, NM and eventually to
the northeast heights, met ShaRon and joined the West Mesa chapter, taught
blind elementary students at Zia, for three years served as president of the
board of directors at the housing cooperative where I live, served on the
State Rehabilitation Counsil for the Commission for 6 years, in 2018 went to
Berlin to visit my niece, in 2020 was confirmed by the state senate to serve
on the Commission board and am currently the chair, experienced a minor
stroke in 2022, serve as second vice president of the NFBNM board and
treasurer of SAGE.

Join Zoom Meeting
 <https://nfb-org.zoom.us/j/95423359096>
https://nfb-org.zoom.us/j/95423359096
One tap mobile
+17193594580,,95423359096# US
Dial by your location
+1 719 359 4580 US
Meeting ID: 954 2335 9096

characteristic that defines you or your future.
Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low
expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can
have the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.

Veronica Smith, SAGE President
Senior Action Group Energy
505-269-1034

Live the life you want.
 <http://www.nfbnm.org/> www.nfbnm.org

 <http://www.nfb.org/> www.nfb.org

NFB Pledge:
I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National Federation
of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind;
to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution.

If you are interested in becoming a member of our senior division of the
National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico make your check payable to
SAGE and send it to our treasurer, Urja Lansing at 4323 San Pedro Dr. NE
G-112
Albuquerque, NM 87109
If you have questions about sending in your $5 Call Urja at (505) 345-3378
or send email to urjalansing at q.com <mailto:urjalansing at q.com> .