[Nfb-or] Student Outreach

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat May 2 22:11:01 UTC 2009

Haben:

I have not met you although I more-than-anxious to do so. I'm President
of the NFB of Washington.

Your ideas below are great and should all be tried. But in my
experience, the only thing that *really* works is personal outreach,
i.e., going to the high schools and colleges and actually advertising
for and holding meetings to gauge the interest of blind students. Making
friends is the best way to welcome and engage new members. I know funds
and time are tight but the personal touch will accomplish far more than
will written correspondence although email works somewhat better in that
many of your generation consider it almost as good as personal
communication.

Just one old curmudgeon's opinion.

Warmly,

Mike Freeman, President
National Federation of the Blind of Washington