[Nfb-or] Student Outreach

Haben Girma habnkid at aol.com
Sun May 3 06:39:05 UTC 2009

Dear Mike,

You have a great idea. Perhaps we should write letters to the schools
and agencies offering to give presentations. I used to give
presentations in my community back in California after I came back from
a volunteer trip to West Africa. All of us--Joseph, Renee, Bill, and
others--have stories to share with students. We could go to schools that
have blind students to provide advice about getting into college and
succeeding in college, and in the process representing the NFB of Oregon
and encouraging the students to join. I absolutely agree with you that
friendships are powerful tools for drawing people into an organization.
I'm contemplating an outreach program that would result in both
friendships and new members...

The summer months are approaching and many high school and college
students might be harder to reach. Although if we get the word out soon
enough we might be able to get in touch with those whose semesters don't
end until mid June. I'll have plenty of time in a week when finals are
over at Lewis & Clark College. Perhaps Joseph and Renee will be done
with their semesters soon, too.

There are several of us around the state and we can all focus on
reaching out to those in our regions. Those in the Portland region have
had two meetings thus far, but, if I remember correctly, there are
students in Corvallis and Eugene who are interested but have not yet
been able to meet with other students in the division due to
transportation and distance... The student division can have a meeting
during state Convention, though, so that will give us a chance to meet
everyone from all the corners of Oregon. Until then, we can use letters,
emails, and those who are interested could do presentations at the
schools in their areas.

Would anyone be interested in going to a school in Oregon to give a
presentation?

Haben