[Nfb-or] Fwd: [oregon-l] Terrible News

Bill cassonw at gmail.com
Tue May 19 01:22:18 UTC 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kae Seth <lady-potter at comcast.net>
Date: Mon, May 18, 2009 at 7:57 PM
Subject: [oregon-l] Terrible News
To: oregon-l at acb.org

Powerful senator says Oregon School for the Blind "definitely" will
close

by Betsy Hammond, The Oregonian
Monday May 18, 2009, 4:42 PM

Senate Budget Co-Chairwoman Margaret Carter said this afternoon that
she is certain lawmakers will vote to close the Oregon School for the
Blind in Salem.

A bill to shutter the school and redirect its $3 million yearly
operating costs to help blind and visually impaired students across the
state was approved by the House Education Committee last month and is
awaiting action by Carter's budget-writing committee.

Asked Monday about the school for the blind in the context of the next
two-year state budget, Carter said unequivocally, "We will definitely
close the school."

 The school for the blind spends more than $125,000 a year to educate
each of its 32 students.

 Some advocates for people with disabilities say it's far better to
educate students in their local schools than in a segregated setting,
where they must board for the week, returning home only on weekends.

 But many advocates for the blind say those students have specialized
needs, such as learning to reach Braille, use the latest technology and
navigate busy streets and bus systems. Many blind and visually impaired
students in Oregon have been ill-served by their local schools, parents
testified.

 Members of the House Education Committee who voted in favor of closing
the school said they were convinced the $3 million would have the best
results for the most blind and visually impaired students if spent
improving services to them in their hometown schools, not running the
Salem institution.

- Betsy Hammond;
betsyhammond at news.oregonian.com

Begin forwarded message:

googlealerts-noreply at google.com>

linderschore at comcast.net

Subject: Google Alert - "Oregon school for the blind"

> Google News Alert for: "oregon school for the blind"
>  Powerful senator says Oregon School for the Blind "definitely ...
> Oregon.com - Portland,OR,USA
>  Asked Monday about the school for the blind in the context of the
> next two-year state budget, Carter said unequivocally, "We will
> definitely close the ...
>
>  This as-it-happens Google Alert is brought to you by Google.
>
> Remove this alert.
> Create another alert.
> Manage your alerts.

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.