[Nfb-or] Fwd: [oregon-l] Terrible News

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Tue May 19 05:14:33 UTC 2009

The link is here:  http://is.gd/BeFZ

Text of a comment not written by me:

Posted by ej617 on 05/18/09 at 9:50PM
Yes Senator Carter, you are right. It is better for students at the
Oregon School for the Blind to be in their home schools.

It is better that they sit in a closet with a glitter ball for the
day.

It is better that they don't learn to read braille until they have
lost all useable vision.

It is better for them not to participate in school sports or even
physical education classes.

It is better for them to miss class time because there are not large
print books and are told if they want large print materials to do it
themselves.

It is better for them to be placed in a classroom of severely
mentally disabled students all day because the school will not place
them in a regular classroom.

It is better for them to be placed four times in drawing classes
because the school can't figure out how to teach them science.

It is better for them to receive an hour and a half of mobility
training a month than to receive mobility training every school day.

It is better for them to be isolated than to met and create
friendships with other members of the blind community.

Give me a break. Students are at the School for the Blind because
their local schools have failed them.

It saddens me that when the Democratic Party is now in control of my
state government that they are destroying services for the most
vulnerable of our children. I imagine the closure of the School for
the Deaf is the next item on the agenda. Both schools provide a
safety net for those students who have needs that are not and cannot
be met by local school districts.