[Nfb-or] [RoseCity] Starting a new chapter

T. Joseph Carter tjcarter at spiritsubstance.com
Mon Sep 12 21:04:45 UTC 2011

Well, starting another chapter in the Portland area is certainly an
option.  It's not one I've been in favor of, personally, but if
there's critical mass in that direction, at this point I will
participate in the resulting chapter.

To do it, you'd need to get everyone who wants to participate
together, draft a constitution that was consistent with the state and
national constitutions, pay dues as specified in that constitution,
elect officers, and get the new chapter approved by the affiliate.

At that point, the chapter's treasurer applies for an EIN (tax ID
number—we're too small to have to pay taxes, but we need the number
all the same), and another meeting is held to approve the minutes of
the first meeting.  These will be signed by the chapter president.

Then the president, treasurer, and a member of the board open a bank
account using the signed minutes and chapter EIN with the three as
signers on the account.  The treasurer is listed as the account
contact person, and the president receives a duplicate statement.

Somewhere I heard that a new chapter could ask the affiliate for some
starting funds, seeing as dues are likely not enough to cover initial
expenses and leave much left over for seed money to raise additional
funds.

So far as I know it, that's the process, if you and others are
serious about doing it.  Based upon my phone conversations with you
and others yesterday, it sounds like they might be.  If you want to
proceed, I'd suggest starting by determining how many are serious
about it, and by keeping Art Stevenson in the loop.

I've copied Art and Chris Morse as well on this message in case I
made any mistakes.  I've only ever been part of the genesis of one
organization, ORABS, and Vivian Smith and Renee Squier did most of
the heavy lifting there since nobody else had any experience with
starting anything.

Joseph