[Nfb-science] re AP. Physics Logistics Question

Chelsea Cook astrochem119 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 01:36:09 UTC 2009

Michael,
  Thank you very much.  I think the most visual concepts are
gained through the virtual labs.  Since they're a large part of
the grade, I'm brainstorming ways to adjust.  For exams, the
problem is that here in the US.  everything is standardized.  So
if the College Board people see a description or a
computer-generated graph, they might start thinking things
(whether inadvertently or otherwise).  That's the theory, anyway.
Also, my school system wants me to be as independent as possible
(which I understand, but maybe this is because they can't find
anyone), and so will just match me up with one of their regular
aides who are OK in description but don't know much about physics
or computers.  So sometimes they don't know how to describe the
situation to me, and I spend half my time trying to communicate.
My system says it's a good learning experience, and I get that,
but is there a point of no return or something? Also, what do you
think on this issue with exams? I, personally, feel a little
uncomfortable working with someone for this high-stakes a test
who might not know what they're doing in physics.  Thoughts? Am I
being too strict with what I want?
Chelsea
"I ask you to look both ways.  For the road to a knowledge of the
stars leads through the atom; and important knowledge of the atom
has been reached through the stars."
Sir Arthur Eddington, British astrophysicist (1882-1944), Stars
and Atoms (1928), Lecture 1