[Nfb-science] re AP. Physics Logistics Question

KEC@VISI.COM kec at visi.com
Fri Oct 9 19:10:32 UTC 2009

Chelsea,
    I think that you are right on target with your thinking.  I am a sighted
person, parent of a blind person, and a science teacher.  More and more are
things becoming "visual" in their presentation in both distance learning
situations and in the classroom.  I don't believe appropriate accommodations
are being made.  I think it should be a requirement that the person
describing the information to you should be someone who is knowledgeable
about the subject.  If material can be presented to you in a verbal rather
than visual way, you should be able to respond back.
    I agree that you should be able to tell facts about graphs, know the
coordinates, and the general shape of the graph.  Accurate descriptions of
the graphs is essential - not the drawing of one.
    Where I think that the group of us needs to make some changes is at the
AP testing level.  We need to help set parameters that help every visually
impaired student that comes along - currently tactile pictures are not
extremely informative to someone who is feeling rather than seeing them and
interactive computer generated images are impossible.
    Is anyone out there aware of a group working on these issues?
Pat Duggan