[Nfb-science] Performing Sensory Assessments

Christine Szostak szostak.1 at osu.edu
Sun Dec 19 06:22:32 UTC 2010

Dear Colleagues,
  I was curious if anyone here, who studies speech or hearing, with  no useable vision has performed any type of auditory examinations (e.g., using an audiometer...). If so, I was wondering whether you found the instruments for  assessment to be blind-friendly. In other words, were you able to use them without sighted assistance and if so, (a) did you have to purchase modified versions and (b) where did you find such modified versions?

  As  many here know, I study spoken word recognition from a psycholinguistic perspective. I am considering aging influences involved in an aspect of lexical processing for my dissertation and may need to perform audiometric testing to ensure audibility is equivalent or experimentally controlled.
Many thanks,
Christine
 M. Szostak
Doctoral Candidate
Language Perception Laboratory
Department of Psychology, Cognitive Area
The Ohio State University
Columbus, Ohio
szostak.1 at osu.edu