[Nfb-science] High school biology help needed

Salisbury, Justin Mark SALISBURYJ08 at students.ecu.edu
Mon Dec 20 18:53:02 UTC 2010

Hi Mary Ann,

    Thank you for being so involved in your daughter's education.  I think that you have taken great steps already.

One great way to make diagrams accessible that is also very low-tech that I have used is printing out large drawings and sticking Wikki Stix to them.  Wikki Stix stick well to Braille paper, and would probably stick well to many other surfaces.  (I've only ever stuck them to Braille paper, so I cannot attest to their adhesive abilities on other surfaces.)  They're basically sticks of wax the size of pipe cleaners, and I've bought them in art and craft stores, children's toy stores, and dollar stores.

3D models are so cool, too.

My entire high school bio class made models or DNA strands out of pipe cleaners and beads as a project, and it helped me learn the structures very well.

Good luck!

Justin

Justin M. Salisbury
Undergraduate Student
The University Honors Program
East Carolina University
salisburyj08 at students.ecu.edu

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."    -Aristotle