[Nfb-science] question about editing papers with co-authors

John Miller j8miller at soe.ucsd.edu
Sat Feb 20 20:58:52 UTC 2010

Cheryl,
I am very proud of you. You are truly doing the work of a scientist when you co-author a many page MS word document.
The entire engineering community vastly prefers track changes in MS word.
I feel that JAWS is really poor at this task. It could be my bad training in JAWS, however.
One idea: have your assistant paste all revisions in to a word document or text document with notation such as
Original doc said: ...
First author proposes ...
Etc
You can pretty easily in JAWS learn the page number and line number of where you wish to make your own edit.
I find it much faster to collect my edits with where I would like to place them and ask my sighted assistant to paste them to the desired location.

Another thing to check is if vocal-eyes handles this situation any more gracefully.
Let us know how it goes and have a great weekend!
Very best,
John