[Nfb-science] Hello

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 12 15:38:26 UTC 2010

Hi Karen --
Are you saying that a tactile graphic should always include a verbal
description? I think this could be helpful, but sometimes verbal
descriptions can confuse as much as they can enlighten.  It depends on the
picture.
As a person who had low vision while getting my degrees, I used a CCTV to
enlarge the pictures -- some pics I couldn't see as my vision was quite
distorted -- but the simple graphs and diagrams such as math graphs and
circuits or other diagrams that contained only outlines and no shading, I
had no trouble seeing.
Moreover, my vision was so bad that I had to magnify to almost the max to
zoom in on what I needed to see, and I had only a foggy idea of the context
of what I was looking at.  This caused me a little difficulty in some
subjects, but nothing insurmountable.

As for tactile pictures, I learned braille early but seldom used it until I
lost the rest of my vision. Hence I know how to read it, but my fingers are
just not sensitive in identifying what is in a picture.  Case in point, at
the campus where I did my undergraduate studies there was a large tactile
map of campus on one wall of one of the blind reading rooms in the library.
Even though I walked all over campus, I found it hard to follow what the map
"looked like" in the big picture.  I don't know if it was a translation step
from tactile to visual that I was trying to do -- but reading tactile
diagrams was simply difficult.  I wonder if this is true for all partially
sighted students.  How do totally blind persons do with tactile graphics?
I am still working on my braille and tactile sensitivity and perception.
I compare it to learning a foreign language -- you're not supposed to resort
to translating words in your head from one language to another -- similarly
in tactile reading, I think you have to suppress the tendency of visualizing
everything -- in the visual cortex or wherever that is done -- but get used
to just recognizing touch and orientation etc.

Anyone want to shoot my hypothesis out of the water? *smile*

Karen, are you sighted?
--le