[Nfb-science] Hello

KEC@VISI.COM kec at visi.com
Mon Jul 12 16:23:57 UTC 2010

Hello,
    Yes, I am sighted, and have worked with both completely blind
individuals and low-vision.  I agree with Larry - 3D in a tactile diagram is
just wrong!  I don't see how anyone could figure that out.  I will tell you
that most sighted individuals look at tactile diagrams of maps, etc and
say - yes that is adapted just fine, but I try to do everything without
sight first before I ask someone else to do it - yes, I can read Braille.
Tactile images are just not the same.  For instance, that tactile map you
speak about - if someone walked you through all that you were feeling, you
could probably make better sense out of it, but the map on its own can be
very confusing, because you are processing the map piece by piece.  If given
a US map, and you wouldn't know if the peninsula part was Florida or Lake
Michigan without some verbal description of what part of the country we are
speaking about.  On mathematical tactile graphics often there are "lines"
drawn in where the transcriber is trying to show the length of the
measurement.  In print, this is simply stated.  Since Braille, is larger
there is often additional lines to the units and this further complicates
the shape.   I have a college level physics book that has 23 extra volumes
that include the graphics in the text.  It of course took thousands of
dollars to produce, and in my experience not adequate in describing the
images.  I think we need to find better ways to describe these image issues.
I think two dimensional images should be done through verbal descriptions
with the tactile graphic.  i.e..  you have a trapezoid with bases of 4 cm
and 2cm and height of 6 cm.  With 3D images - I think that am actual model
should be included.  More and more images are being projected on the
computer, and while this may be adequate for those with low-vision and for
those who are truly blind, this can be a huge stumbling block.  There are
more and more programs that allow show images and rotate these images
on-line or allow the user to "place" layers onto existing images - for
example, you can "point and drag" different features to show different
terrain, populations, etc onto existing maps - none of this is assessable to
the blind, and all of this could be verbally described to explain where the
lakes, mountains were, where population was most dense, etc.  We need to
look at how to make these new ways of teaching more accessible to those who
don't see!