[Nfb-science] Biology Accomidations

kwcurrin kwcurrin at email.unc.edu
Thu May 12 20:20:53 UTC 2011

Hey Kevin,

I actually just took biology 101 lecture this past spring, and am taking
the lab now over the summer. The curriculum at your college will no doubt
differ somewhat from the curriculum here at UNC Chapel Hill, but there are
a few main concepts in bio that should be universal. A raised line drawing
device of some sort should help with visualizing DNA, various organelles,
and other structures. There were a lot of visuals on my prof’s powerpoints,
but we were rarely tested on them (though I think my professor changed the
test format a bit to reduce visuals for my sake). I had a tutor (payed for
by disability services) who helped with describing visuals for the online
homework and for entering any data where the masteringbiology website may
have been inaccessible to screen readers (such as matching assignments).
Overall, if your good at visualling processes like photosynthesis,
respiration, and so on from written descriptions, you should do fine.

As far as the lab goes, I’m still trying to figure everything out. In the
lab I’m in, there is a lot of group work, so a group member could always
help with showing you where something is, describing something visual, and
so on. There is a big part of my lab that is based on microscopes, and that
is something I’m trying to find a solution for and is something you should
check with your college about.

Hoped this helps and I will send any other ideas I may have forgotten if I
think of them.

Kevin