[Nfb-science] intro biology lab accessibility

Kelly Thornbury kthornbury at bresnan.net
Tue Feb 14 16:22:39 UTC 2012

Aleeha,

My first suggestion would be to look at the lab portions you are being excluded from and decide how you would best benefit and learn from the lab. This may include using a scribe from the tutoring center or one hired by your college's disability support services. Then offer to show your skills "one-on-one" with your instructor to demonstrate your abilities and solutions for the conflict. Be sure to include your DSS in your conflict with the department, they are there by law to advocate for your education.

These are some techniques I recently had to employ in a problem with accommodations in my science department. Don't be shy about pointing out that excluding you from the labs is harassment and a discrimination under the law. Look up Title 2 and Title 3 of the Americans with Disabilities Act for support in this.

Feel free to contact me off list if you have any questions on how I handled a similar conflict.
Good Luck,
Kelly

Kelly Thornbury
VP- NFB Wyoming