[Nfb-science] guide dog safety in lab situations

Kelly Thornbury kthornbury at bresnan.net
Fri Nov 16 22:14:41 UTC 2012

For me it depends on the type of lab. I will bring my guide to any lab not involving strong odors like some chem labs or dissections. For normal labs my guide sleeps quietly under an unused table while I use a cane until she is called to my side (a skill we practiced a lot). For unsuitable labs she stays home. You won't to put your guide where you can't control people interactions, and remember that smells that make you wrinkle your nose will really irritate your guide's. my guide gets wigged out for days when she is exposed to dissections or the cadaver lab.

Use your best judgement and remember that it is ok to leave the guide home and work the cane skills on questionable days.

Sent from my iPhone