[Nfb-science] access to plots and graphics

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Sat Nov 24 20:07:22 UTC 2012

Amy,

I'll answer your question first, then let you read the welcome and all.
/smile/

First, in short, the leader in assistive technology and software for the
math/science/etc. crowd seems to be ViewPlus Technologies.

http://www.viewplus.com/

There are more tools of varying prices and usefulness, but the good
stuff for high end professional needs seems to still be the ViewPlus
stuff. I have yet to get my hands on the funds to begin to build my own
toolkit there, but am working like fury on it. /smile/

Another good place to ask about tools for tactile graphics for the math
part of your work would be the BlindMath list.

If you really want to go nuts, you can be on many more lists these days,
thus having no time to do your job because of keeping up with the lists.
/smile/ I'm learning about all the tools and how people use them and the
development of them and all of that while I'm working at figuring out
how to get the financing to get the full toolkit to do pretty much the
same tasks you are describing, but in a different field. So while I
could tell you all about my dream toolkit, you would get better and more
detailed information from those who develop and improve and use all
those wonderful things. /smile/

Okay, now the personal greet part:

Welcome, and best in continuing to find what you need to continue your
career, which sounds super cool, BTW! /smile/ I've done the RP thing and
traveled a similar road as a computer geek, finally losing the vision to
use at all in my work and trying to find what I could use then get my
hands on it. The wealth of accessible info and experts on the internet
wasn't what it is now, so it was a real bummer for my career that our VR
agency is a real bummer. But I've learned a lot by now, and love it!

On to your question. There are a growing number of solutions for math
and science, including tactile graphics, and they are getting better all
the time. They cost quite a lot per tool, since they're newly developed
and there is such a limited market for them. So acquiring such things is
easier with some assistance from a VR agency, unless you happen to have
that much saved up for the high end tools. Having a good career with an
employer who will purchase the tools for your work is best of all. Some
do have one or both of those factors. Others, like me, dream a lot.
/smile/ Well, I had the career/employer bit happening, but with fewer
sources of info for us to work with... Well, bummer for me. We just
couldn't get it worked out in time for us both to come to the conclusion
that the work needed to be done by someone who could actually do the
reading to do it.

Best, and do let us all know how it goes!

Tami Jarvis (formerly Kinney)