[Nfb-science] science experiments

Larry D. Keeler lkeeler at comcast.net
Mon Jan 28 19:27:34 UTC 2013

If the experiment is osmosis you can do many things. My favorite is first to
take an egg and soak it in vinegar for a couple of weeks.  Weigh it and then
put it in water.  This gives kids a few things to learn.  First, they casn
observe the chemical reaction of the calcium with the vinegar.  Or rather
acetic acid.  Next, you really have in effect a large cell complete with
organelles and membrane.  Lastly, you can then prove that water crosses cell
membranes by putting the egg in the water.  The egg not only becomes firm
but its weight increases.  The last thing you could do is iether put the egg
in some anhydrous matterial and draw the water back out, thus shrinking the
egg.  Maybe alcohol might do that.  Which could also show what happens to
cells when one drinks alcohol.  The sponge idea is faster but the egg thing
is a whole lot more fun!  You can also play ball with the eggs if they stay
in the vinegar too long!