[Nfb-science] science experiments

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Tue Jan 29 19:53:20 UTC 2013

Dear All,

As a Materials Engineer, I have used a demonstration of how shaping or
stressing a material can change its properties.
I take a simple water glass and place a dollar bill, flat across the mouth
of the glass.
To this I place a coin such as a quarter on the top of the dollar and watch
as the dollar collapses into the glass, showing that the material, in its
present form and shape is not strong enough to support the weight of the
single coin.
I then take the dollar bill and fold it back and forth, lengthwise in a
corrugated fashion.
I then lay the same dollar across the mouth of the water glass and begin
stacking coins of the same weight and size on top of the dollar bill until
it fails.
I then ask the question, " What changed in the material and what did it do
to effect the material and the outcome of the experiment?

The stressing of the material gave it greater directional strength and the
shaping of the material also made it act like a thicker piece of the same
material with a thicker apparent cross sectional area..

Other demonstrations can be done that show how stressing or shaping
materials in to certain shapes are used to give greater strengths or other
properties to materials, which is key in the field of fabrication and
construction.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.
Retired Nuclear/Aerospace Materials Engineer
Builder of the Lunar Rovers and the F-117 Stealth Fighter.