[Nfb-science] accommodations with college physics course

Chelsea Cook astrochem119 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 20:52:31 UTC 2013

Hi Daniel,

I am happy to see you on the list! I am going into my fourth year as a physics major. Like you, I had to interact with the MasteringPhysics system at my university, and I would wager had a similar experience with regards to accessibility. if you want specific details, email me off list.

Once I had moved on from MasteringPhysics, things did improve slightly. I have actually found with science courses that the less a teacher uses technology (blackboard vs. PowerPoint, for example) the better luck I've had in obtaining information from the class. I just finished the first semester of Junior mechanics, and while it was difficult from a physics perspective (to be expected) I didn't have any accessibility issues. That said, I have a supportive department, so things may get better for you the higher up you go.

Above all, don't give up on the physics because of accessibility issues. If there's one thing I've learned on this list, it's that it's full of people doing what they love because they love it and not because someone else has said it's the right path. good luck, and please feel free to contact me with any questions, physics or otherwise.

Sincerely,
Chelsea Cook