[Nfb-science] Fwd: Re: STEM Education

Rosanne Hoffmann rhoffmann at aph.org
Tue Feb 14 21:08:51 UTC 2017

Hi Elliot,

My name is Rosanne Hoffmann and I am the STEM Project Leader at the American Printing House for the Blind (APH). I am devoted to designing STEM educational materials for students with BVI, so I'm very interested in what kind of feedback you get from the field with regard to what is needed. On another note, you don't want to work on models that are already out there and available (i.e., reinvent the wheel), so I recommend checking out what APH already offers in the way of STEM education. Products that have been recently made available for sale include the DNA Twist (a 3D twistable model of the DNA molecule), the DNA-RNA Kit (demonstrates DNA replication and transcription of DNA to messenger RNA), Punnett Squares (4 and 16 box versions), Genetic code in large print and braille, and Life Science Tactile Graphics. I am currently working on a product that is sister to the DNA-RNA Kit which allows students with VI to demonstrate the process of translation of mRNA to protein (a sequence of linked amino acids) - it's called the Protein Synthesis Kit and it should become available for sale from APH sometime in 2017. I am also working on a set of Earth Science Tactile Graphics, which is similar to the Life Science Tactile Graphics (available since 2010) in design. We hope this will become available in 2018.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Rosanne Hoffmann