[NFB-Science] Ensurance Question for Braille Textbooks

Chelsea Cook astrochem119 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 20:26:20 UTC 2020

Hi All,

Let me start out by saying I know how incredibly fortunate and privileged I am to even be asking this question. I had a great undergraduate experience, and had to have a lawyer send a letter requesting I keep my books at the end of my matriculation, so I really want to protect them.

For those of you, like me, who have managed to hold onto their Braille science texts from college, are you ensuring them, and if so, how? Personally, I think this is a huge investment, as the books are very expensive to replace, they are vulnerable to events like fire, and I still wish to rely on them in my career. Roughly half of them I have electronically, but the other half are just the hard copies. When I bring this up to ensurers, it either stumps them for a few days, or they outrightly say there is no policy coverage for this type of item.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Since I do use the books to tutor students at a university, I have contemplated trying to ensure them under a business policy, but haven’t looked into that option much.

Regards,
Chelsea