[NFB-Science] Thank You For Producing Software Accessible To The Blind

Louis Maher ljmaher03 at outlook.com
Mon Oct 17 15:18:26 UTC 2022

Hello,

It is important that off-the-shelf software work well when used by a blind individual with a screen reader. A key technology for working remotely at a corporation is a virtual private network VPN application.

I wish to commend the company Cisco for its Windows 10 application Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client. This application works well for blind users who use the Jaws for Windows screen reader version 2022.7.25 and a refreshable braille display. The application along with a smartphone allows a user to enter a code that is generated by the smartphone application. A smartphone application authenticator for the iPhone and available in the Apple Store works well with Cisco AnyConnect. The user types into an AnyConnect dialog box a code displayed by the Authenticator iPhone application. After pressing enter, the AnyConnect application verifies a connection allowing the computer access to a variety of company data and services. These two applications Cisco AnyConnect and Authenticator allow a blind user to work from home, while on travel, or at a different location in the office than at one's desk.

I hope that the developers of these applications will consider the needs of blind users when making updates to the applications so that future versions will remain accessible to the blind.

The AnyConnect version I have tested as a blind individual is 4.10.05111.
When Cisco AnyConnect is open, you can tab to the About button and select it so that the application displays its version.

Best Regards,

John Miller
Science and Engineering Division President:
The National Federation of the Blind
Phone: 858-774-9286
Email: Johnmillerphd at hotmail.com<mailto:Johnmillerphd at hotmail.com>
Website: https://nfb.org/