[NFB-Science] FW: Coming up October 18: Astro Access - Tactile Graphics for Space Flight

Louis Maher ljmaher03 at outlook.com
Mon Oct 17 20:04:32 UTC 2022

FYI
From: 'Chancey Fleet' via Technology Programs at Andrew Heiskell Braille & Talking Book Library <HeiskellTech at googlegroups.com>
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2022 12:26 PM
To: heiskelltech at googlegroups.com; new-york-news at nfbnet.org
Subject: Fwd: Coming up October 18: Astro Access - Tactile Graphics for Space Flight

Final reminder before tomorrow's event, with opportunities to participate in person and online!
Come help make space travel safer for everyone, including future  blind and low vision astronauts.
If you are a disabled person aboard the International space  Station, what accommodations do you need to become a trusted part of the working crew?
If you can't see, and you are in zero gravity, how does that change the way you get around?
On Tuesday October 18,  from 4:30 PM to 6:30 PM Eastern, the library will host   representatives of AstroAccess, a nonprofit working to ensure future space travel is accessible to everyone.  The program will begin with a short introduction to AstroAccess by Lindsay Yazzolino and Sheri Wells-Jensen,  two members of the blind crew who will fly aboard AstroAccess's zero G parabolic flight this December.
We are  designing the world's first  tactile way finding aids for a zero G environment, and we are  are looking for people of all backgrounds to examine our progress and offer feedback.
We will show you  the first examples of our tactile graphics system designed to provide
basic zero G orientation information such as which way is 'down' (should gravity return), and direction of emergency supplies and emergency exits.  We need your feedback and suggestions.
If we can make space accessible, we can make any space accessible.

Where: Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library
40 West 20th St | NYC
We'll be hands-on with tactile graphics so in-person participation is encouraged, but we'll also have a Zoom for those who want to hear the discussion from afar.
Register here:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdquunwFi_CIY88ofZvFLCNbDqtbMr-vfkfO9jn9OQhxkAKeg/viewform<https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fforms%2Fd%2Fe%2F1FAIpQLSdquunwFi_CIY88ofZvFLCNbDqtbMr-vfkfO9jn9OQhxkAKeg%2Fviewform&data=05%7C01%7C%7C6c3379321e564ac3a45b08dab064b92e%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638016243900816584%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=W5en7aGzaozi2hV779smUMHIJxlblCZ50sfP0onsxcw%3D&reserved=0>

--
Chancey S. Fleet
Assistive Technology Coordinator