[NFB-Science] Looking for an architect who is blind

John Gardner john.gardner at viewplus.com
Wed Apr 5 16:58:35 UTC 2023

I am not an architect but can point you to a very well known blind architect in the San Francisco area. He is Chris Downey, and you can find him with a search.

But I can tell you that the one critical thing a student of architecture needs (other than all the things any blind student needs) is a ViewPlus embosser with automatic sheet feeder. the new ViewPlus Rogue Sheet is the very best current option for architectural drawings. The ViewPlus Delta is less expensive and also creates good tactile graphics, but its resolution is not quite as good as the Rogue. Full Disclosure - I am founder and president of ViewPlus.

The reason the student needs a ViewPlus embosser is that it is the only embosser that creates tactile graphics. Some others claim to do that, but they do not.

The reason the student needs a sheet model instead of a tractor feed is the availability of many sizes of paper, but in particular very large (12 x 18 inches) that is really critical to making and understanding architectural drawings. Tractor paper options are much more limited, and as far as I know there are none with sheets larger than about 12x12 inches.

Happy to answer any questions.

John Gardner