[NFB-Seniors-Discussion] Question- I have started to use a very short cane in my house - anyone else use a cane in your home?

robertleslienewman at gmail.com robertleslienewman at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 12:46:18 UTC 2024

Okay check this out:

Yes, I know the interior of our house, like the back of my hand!, However.
there are days when my indoor travel ability is. Not so good, either by not
paying attention or maybe my hearing is off and my echo location skills are
faulty and I miss a doorway, or run into some thing that I would not
normally touch along my intended path. And hey, this change in indoor travel
has slowed me down and is annoying!

And so, yes, I have started to use a 38 inch cane in doors. I had this
specially made for me, by D-Canes of Omaha. To make this, Don took a broken
cane and salvaged the lower 38 inchs from a broken long white cane. I had
him  put a handle at the top. And for the tip, I took a too inch section of
rubber tubing, which I found to fit very tightly on the bottom end of the
cane; having the very end of that rubber extending a quarter inch beyound
the actual end of the cane; I do not need auditory feedback from this tool.
And so when I walk through the various rooms, I basically use the cane to
reach out and feel for what I know should be off to eihterside of me on my
expected path.

Do any of you use a cane within the walls of your home?

RLN

Respectfully yours,

Robert Leslie Newman

NFBN Senior Division, President