[Nfb-seniors] Watching Grand children

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Fri Nov 14 22:46:46 UTC 2008

Someone asked about watching the grandchildren, I sit on the babies  [2 1/2
year old and 10 month old] for my son and daughter-in-law.  I do  this for 3
days out of the week.  It definitely took a long time for them  two trust or
should I say feel OK for me to babysit, like almost 3 years.   As I did not start
babysitting for the first Grand daughter and her sister until  the oldest was
not quite 3 years old.  At that time it was more or less an  emergency as the
babysitter gave her notice and they panicked.  I started  babysitting at
first with another babysitter in the house and I played with the  almost 3 year
old all day and the other babysitter took care of the at that time  she was a
baby like 5 months old.  That did not last too long as the  babysitter was
pregnant and when she went off on maturnity leave my  daughter-in-law's Momtook a
leave off from her job.  When the younger lady  came back with her own baby to
watch my two Grand daughters she did not last but  only 2 weeks and decided to
give it up.  So my daughter-in-law  and my  son decided my mother and I would
babysit.  Mind you my Mom is a young 88  year old at that time that we
started doing this.  They decided to put the  3 year old in daycare 3 days a week
and we only had to watch the baby.  My  Mom help watch the baby with me 2 days a
week and I watched the baby 2 days a  week for the last 2 years.  The new
baby joined us in January of this year  and the oldest went off to kindengarten a
couple months back.

I would go to their house to sit on the babies and they lived 2 houses away
from me with my Mom's house between us.

They did like what we charged them for sitting on the babies, as we both  get
paid as many kisses we can collect a day.

So being patient and hoping for a relationship with the girls took a while,
but it is defintely worth it.

I went totally blind 11 years ago and my daughter-in-law still is not sure
about my abilities, but my son thinks Mom can do anything.  I am just not  sure
if I want to do everything.

Joyce