[Nfb-seniors] AFB to Close its Audio Production Division in October 2009

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Fri Nov 21 17:51:21 UTC 2008

AFB to Close its Audio Production Division in October 2009

AFB to Close its Audio Production Division in October 2009

New York (November 17, 2008)­After 75 years of
participating in the National Library Service
(NLS) Talking Book Program, the American
Foundation for the Blind (AFB) is closing its
audio book division in October 2009 with the
expiration of AFB's New York headquarters' lease.
Fans of talking books will continue to have
access to high quality audio books from the many
other accomplished audio book producers
participating in the NLS program, as well as
through increasingly popular, accessible, and
affordable commercially produced books and internet downloads.

Since pioneering the development of recorded
books in the 1930s, AFB has produced tens of
thousands of Talking Books for the Library of
Congress­a program championed by Helen Keller
during her tenure at AFB. AFB expects to continue
producing audio material for NLS and our other
customers until AFB leaves its present facility.

"As a Talking Book user myself, I take enormous
pride in the role AFB has played in providing
high-quality audio books to people who are blind
or visually impaired," said Carl R. Augusto, AFB
President & CEO. "While we are saddened to be
exiting the Talking Book business, we are
confident that other audio book producers have
sufficient studio production capacity to handle
NLS requirements and that blind and visually
impaired consumers will continue to have access
to audio material through the NLS program and other avenues."

AFB's decision to exit the Talking Book program
was based on a number of factors, including the
financial costs that AFB incurs by participating
in the government-funded NLS program and the need
to apply donor funds to those programs that AFB
is in a unique position to deliver.

"AFB is proud to have produced so many amazing
audio books, and we owe a huge thank you to AFB's
audio book production staff and to the actors and
narrators whose much-loved voices have created
wonderful and enduring recordings," added Augusto.